SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-05, 06:10 PM   #1
TrojanHorse11

Default Any drivers on here?

I started a new job on Monday which involves driving long distances across the country. A typical day involves between 120 and 400 miles round trip, and this is EVERY day Monday to Friday.

Anyway my concern is this: If I'm driving and spending all day on the road, the last thing I'm going to want to do is jump on my bike and go for a spin just for the sake of riding.

Wondered if there is anyone on here who drives for a living or used to and if it made you NOT want to "ride" for pleasure. I was already thinking this by Tuesday!

I've always like driving as well as riding - I'll go anywhere in my car for the littlest of reasons. A good example would be that I'd drive quite a distance just to have a look round a decent Motorcycle showroom! But now the last thing I want to do is go ANYWHERE in my car at all. Example: Last night I needed some petrol but couldn't even be bothered to go to the local petrol station because I'd been on the road all day.

I don't want any job to ruin my love of riding
Old 21-07-05, 06:18 PM   #2
mac

In my last job i was doing 35 - 45,000 miles a year ( Service Eng ) - and thats how i was beginning to feel about driving. I ended up jacking it in because it had got to be too much - but it did take over 2 years to get that fed up
Old 21-07-05, 08:16 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I was doing about 40,000 a year. and a full days work as well. Leaving home at 5 am to get to the office for 8 and leaving at 6 to get home for 9.

Nearly killed me and I packed it in after 2 years. The stress was over the top and after a 5-6 hour trip I used to get on the bike and rag it just cos I could.

The stress relief that half an hour on the bike gives after a 5 hour journey from hell. It is so nice just to be able to move.

The nice thing my company did though (Well safety manager) was to take the view that a company car was no different than any other machine tool and if required to operate it then they must be able to show that you had adequate training to use it properly. They therefore sent me on an intensive 3 day driving course run by ex police instructors.
Old 21-07-05, 09:02 PM   #4
BURNER

I'm a service engineer average weekly travel is 1200 miles. I wasn't riding because of working nearly every weekend.
Some days getting back on the road doesn't appeal, no matter the weather.
Just as well I'm looking for a new job.
Old 21-07-05, 09:32 PM   #5
Peter Henry

Burner..before I left the Uk I too was a Service Engineer and can totally understand you.I got to the stage where I actually hated driving.The time it could take me to get in to Manchester from Southport some days was ridiculous for what is only about a 35 mile journey!
Old 21-07-05, 11:56 PM   #6
BURNER

I've done this for 9 years and can remember when I really enjoyed driving.
With the roads the way they are now it's just a waste of my life to sit in traffic.
I was down at the RM base in barnstable the other week, left at 14H30 and got home at 21H00. 6 and a half hours for 320 miles. The very next day I had to go to Newcastle, day after that Sawnsea. Come the weekend I don't even look at the car....
Old 22-07-05, 12:00 AM   #7
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
The time it could take me to get in to Manchester from Southport some days was ridiculous for what is only about a 35 mile journey!
I hate doing that trip every few weekends when im going home. Youre only on the M62 and M6 for a few junctions but it seems like forever! Did you used to live in Southport Peter?
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-05, 07:24 AM   #8
Patch

Up til recently I have been doing between 40 and 70,000 miles a year, my highest was 85,000 but that was 1997.

Two and a half years ago I got cheesed off and started using the bike instead of the car. Still doing 30,000 or so but enjoy it far more. Normally take the quick route to meetings and the scenic route back home.
Old 22-07-05, 08:10 AM   #9
Peter Henry

SV4me...Yes I did live in Southport for about 5 years. i found it usefull climatising prior to the move to Spain!
Old 22-07-05, 09:39 AM   #10
Liam

TrojanHorse, can you use the bike for some of those days? I have to do a lot of traveling for business (no tools tho) and on some nice days taking the bike rather than car makes my journey into fun rather than work.

If you are going just to one site and need smart clothes/suit then drop them off with a colleague on mondays using the car.

Liam