SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-03-07, 12:04 PM   #1
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Good luck/Bad luck....All about being lucky innit

I think my good luck was "in" today (past midnight).

Going down a road and as I approached a round about, mirror check and indicated. As I was about to take first exit of the round about I heard what sounded like a car give it some.
There was a car behind but last time I checked (as I slowed down) it was quite a way back. Just as I checked my mirrors again to fix the source a car comes flying past me luckily to the right(bear in mind I'm almost turning in)

Bang into the middle of the round about and resting on it's side(passenger side). It's one of those with directional pointers and raised concrete borders etc. My immediate thought was that the occupants would be in a bad state and not having a phone on me went straight to the nearby Supermarket to get some help. By the time phone calls were made and I got back with a few others to check on the occupants/occupants, car was empty. Headlights still on and music still blaring. We had a bit of a peek inside and defintely nobody

Driver someone managed to get out in the short space of time I went off to get help and legged it. A mixture of relieve that driver was okay and wondering why driver had run/limped off. Driver was indeed fortunate as the car wasn't even equipped with an airbag IIRC so must have had the seat belt on.

A bit shook up as a few seconds earlier it could well have been a bit different as the road goes from basically a single to a double lane at give way at round about. My last speed check puts me doing about 35mph as I appraoched the round about so car must have been doing atleast 60mph when it went past me. The rate at which it flashed passed suggests the driver did not "factor in" (for some reason) the round about being there.
Skid marks started when the car was already on the round about and were not very dark either.

I'm just sooooo glad, no body else was involved as plenty of people use the lowered section for pedestrians to get to the supermarket.
Stay lucky folks

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-07, 12:09 PM   #2
Law

Default Re: Good luck/Bad luck....All about being lucky innit

Sounded like it could have been a lot worse. I'm glad you're fine and no one got hurt.

Sounds like the driver was probably dodgy and legged it before police came to the scene.
Old 17-03-07, 12:32 PM   #3
FG1

Default Re: Good luck/Bad luck....All about being lucky innit

Quest, glad to see that you went for assistance but, a life could be saved or lost in the first few minutes. If anybody else should be unfortunate to be in a similar situation, please check that all occupants are in a position where going for help would not hinder their health before leaving the scene.
If you have to stay to administer first aid, STAY.
You went to the local supermarket because you didn't have a mobile, did the occupants have a mobile ???
I know it's easy to preach "after the event" but seriously, nobody should ever leave without checking nobody is seriously injured.