SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-22, 04:02 PM   #2681
redtrummy

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Thanks chaps - Curvy or pointy? always confused me, it has no fairing and is the naked variant . Now it just stops, no splutter, just dies both cylinders together. I put the old plug in without disconnecting any wiring, could I have strained a wire? I was very careful. Looking inside the tank no real sign of rust. It lives in a garage and never gets wet (apart from its annual clean, if I can help it) It has got worse so will check plug cap, but it does not appear to go onto one cylinder, just dies and will restart after and will run for 800yrds or so. Battery is less than a year old, holds its charge and restarts the bike ok. I have confidence in the battery it spins the bike well.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 04:27 PM   #2682
Seeker
Mega Poster

The curvy has carbs and round frame tubes, the pointy has fuel injection and rectangular frame tubes. When it dies do you lose all electrical power (are the gauges still working)?
Didn't there used to be a problem with corrosion on the "green" connector under the tank?
Old 07-06-22, 05:39 PM   #2683
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The curvy has carbs and round frame tubes, the pointy has fuel injection and rectangular frame tubes. When it dies do you lose all electrical power (are the gauges still working)?
Didn't there used to be a problem with corrosion on the "green" connector under the tank?
That would be my next check. I took the corrosion off the male and female connections of the large green connector using a small electrical screwdriver with some 500 grit paper wrapped around it and then flushed all debris away with carb/Brake cleaner and Switch cleaner( Halfords have some for a decent price).I then treat mine with ACF50 and dielectric grease.
Old 07-06-22, 10:22 PM   #2684
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Ole Suzy started miss firing at 4000 revs - seemed to clear at 5000. I changed the front plug about a year ago never got round to doing the rear.
Thought I would start by putting the old plug back in, done. The removed plug did look as if it had run a little lean. Bike started ok, ran it down the road it stopped! After a minute or so it restarted - ran it up the road it stopped again. Restarted back up the drive stopped again. Thinking a fuel pump issue (if its got one) but can anyone offer a wider view on what other causes I could be looking at/checking before I start dismantling?

Thanks
I am no expert but don't 'the panel ' think it sounds like a fuel issue ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 11:46 AM   #2685
redtrummy

Thanks all, Well its a 99 curvy then with carbs. Something to look at this afternoon.
Old 08-06-22, 12:31 PM   #2686
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Well its a 99 curvy then with carbs.
The best sort. None of this pointy ugliness! Even Goethe thought curves were better than angles as they mimic nature and are more natural!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 04:03 PM   #2687
redtrummy

I agree Gary!

Thanks all that made suggestions re the way forward.

The saga continues! I had a think and decided before I got out of the realms of simplicity I would swap the rear plug. Then look at the connector leading off the vacuum fuel pump - it was clean but gave it a spray with contact cleaner anyway. Started the bike it cut out after about two minutes. When it stopped it was like the kill switch had activated. Having a look round I noticed I could not see the antifreeze level?? - topped that up and the bike now runs nearly ok! I have concluded that tipping the rad to get at the front plug disturbed an air lock so the over heat sensor was activating. You live and learn, I certainly did not position the rad so coolant could escape. I would have noticed it.

SO anyone any suggestions what could be causing the misfire at 3500-4000 revs now and what to check?
Old 08-06-22, 09:40 PM   #2688
redtrummy

In light of the above could I have a carb balancing issue? Found the thread re JIS screwdrivers, anyone got an opinion which is preferable. Vessel 900 Megadora +2x150 (JIS) +2 Screwdriver
Vessel megadora 980 impacta p2x100#2 cross point impact screwdriver
Old 09-06-22, 05:51 AM   #2689
Seeker
Mega Poster

I haven't seen such a small impact driver before as the #980. Either driver would be fine since it's the JIS angles of the tip that's important but given the option I'd probably go for the impact. Whether you should be clouting a carburetor with a hammer is a whole new question (although I've felt like doing it in the past).

Unbalanced carbs? Don't know. If you haven't had them apart probably worth a look to see if they're clean or not- since ethanol petrol can form gunk over long periods of inactivity. Check your choke plungers while you're in there.

BTW where did you buy your plugs because there are a lot of counterfeit NGK plugs floating around.
https://www.ngkntk.com/newsroom/blog/emea/fake-or-not/
Old 09-06-22, 12:10 PM   #2690
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
In light of the above could I have a carb balancing issue? Found the thread re JIS screwdrivers, anyone got an opinion which is preferable. Vessel 900 Megadora +2x150 (JIS) +2 Screwdriver
Vessel megadora 980 impacta p2x100#2 cross point impact screwdriver
I've had one of these for several years and no complaints,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-900-...%2C264&sr=8-14

As for carb balance as I have a shoulder injury and suffer from Vibration White Finger I keep my carbs well balanced which removes vibration and hand fatigue plus optimal performance.

To this end I made this page some years ago,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html