SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-09-07, 05:17 PM   #1
ClemsonSV

Default Came to a stop at a light and the bike would not...

SHIFT!!! I got down into 3, but that was it. This has happened one other time as well. What in the world is going on in my transmission???
Old 19-09-07, 05:21 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: Came to a stop at a light and the bike would not...

I would suggest taking apart the gear change linkage and cleaning/greasing.

Worked for me on my R6 after my mate had been messing with it. My symptoms were the same.
Old 19-09-07, 06:03 PM   #3
CB1ROCKET

actually all bikes i have own, needs you to shift the gears when blipping the throttle and letting the clutch bite a bit then kick it down through the gears and repeat if necessary. The best thing is to antipcate gear change into neutral before you stop. ie while still rolling up to the lights, change the gears while still in motion.
Old 19-09-07, 07:17 PM   #4
ClemsonSV

Thanks...I forgot to mention it was a bit of an emergency stop but I was down shifting while still moving...that was of course until I got stopped.
Old 19-09-07, 07:33 PM   #5
CB1ROCKET

Yeah it can get stuck quite hard when doing hard braking or in an emergency, just let the clutch bite a little, pull it back in again and try shift it down. on normal riding i dont generally have to do this, just as long as you make each gear shift nice, smooth and fully up/down on the shifter.
Old 20-09-07, 11:38 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

This type of gearbox basically doesn't work unless the bike is moving, you'd need to roll it back and forth a few inches while pressing the lever to make it happen. They're not like car gearboxes.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-07, 05:45 PM   #7
thedonal

Check the gear lever/footrest are tight and secure on the hanger too- if it's wobbly it'll cause you murder changing gears. It did for me!
Old 20-09-07, 06:40 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

emergency stop, just brake, forget about the gears you are wasting your time, deal with that later, ofcourse if the situation requires a hard stop then go you need to work it all out.

Ive found under hard braking, the gearbox does not like changing gear unless you blip, which you dont want to be doing if you need to emergency brake.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-07, 09:38 PM   #9
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1ROCKET View Post
actually all bikes i have own, needs you to shift the gears when blipping the throttle and letting the clutch bite a bit then kick it down through the gears and repeat if necessary. The best thing is to antipcate gear change into neutral before you stop. ie while still rolling up to the lights, change the gears while still in motion.
Just like he said and nothing more
Old 21-09-07, 02:33 AM   #10
ClemsonSV

Thanks for the help. Next time I have to stop short I'll keep it in mind. I'm not about to go try just for fun....