SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-07, 01:32 PM   #1
Law

Default Hydrogen bike

first hydrogen bike

Cool, I want one just for the novelty factor

Quote:
By the way, I realise hardcore bikers will never give up their throbbing combustion engine,
Would you?
Old 06-02-07, 01:35 PM   #2
Baph

10bhp, 50mph max. £6000 price tag.

You're having a laugh right?

IMO it's a scooter class bike and less safe because it makes no noise, yet you can buy a half decent sports bike for that money!

No thank you!
Old 06-02-07, 01:41 PM   #3
Ping

Looks like it's a lot less hassle to take for a quick ride to the shops...

I think it's a great idea because it WILL push the bounds of science/technology and something better will come along as a result - and lets face it - the world needs something to save it...
Old 06-02-07, 01:49 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Looks like it's a lot less hassle to take for a quick ride to the shops...

I think it's a great idea because it WILL push the bounds of science/technology and something better will come along as a result - and lets face it - the world needs something to save it...
I agree completely. It's a great idea, pity it's a sh**e bike though!
Old 06-02-07, 02:05 PM   #5
tricky

More info here

I think its a cracking idea, they just need to get cheaper/faster/less funny looking.

Also need to produce the hydrogen from none fossil fuels.
Old 06-02-07, 02:11 PM   #6
hovis

i think it looks good .............needs to be faster & cheaper though

looks like an english bull terrier
Old 06-02-07, 02:13 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

How much energy does it take to make (collect) the hydrogen? I am guessing unless you are moses splitting water isn't that easy?!

Unless you can supply enough power by solar or wind etc to do the hydrogen collection/bottling, then all you are doing is moving the source of the pollution ... I suppose if we can be 100% nuclear then its not as bad pollution wise ... but I betya that truly renewable sources are not practical with the amount of energy required?!?!

Its a bit like electric cars/bikes ... its just moving the source of the pollution .. and every time you convert energy you use a bit up ... i.e. essentially converting the energy twice is probably pretty inefficient way of doing things overall?!?! Saying that I guess boiling a tub of oil to get petrol must take a few calories too ... how comparable is it to that in making (extracting) the hydrogen?
Old 06-02-07, 05:53 PM   #8
_drummer_

That is seriously cool (not the bikes deisgn, although i like that too but the hydrogen cell part of the hybrid power).
If I had 6000 I'd definately buy one, & as has been said it's the advancement from this which'll bring better benefits, in terms of source, design, application etc etc.

v cool that suzukis getting involved
http://www.intelligent-energy.com/in...798&artid=3806
Old 06-02-07, 09:45 PM   #9
Davies

Nah, looks too much like a mountain bike to be classed as a motorcycle.....not for me
Old 06-02-07, 09:59 PM   #10
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
How much energy does it take to make (collect) the hydrogen?
Not to mention the vehicle its self. Often in cases like this, lets take the Lexus hybrid cars for example, green vehicles need far more energy to produce than than their standard 'dirty' counter parts. Given that people are keeping their cars for shorter periods than they used to, energy saving vehicles may never pay back all the energy used up in manufacture.