SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-07, 01:15 PM   #1
richard_1069

Default Help needed - Electrical Fault

hi everyone, I have a 650s 2000 curvey ( Marshalls old bike) and a fuse keeps blowing whilst out riding.
Its the 15amp fuse that works the back lights, clocks horn and signal.
It first went about a month ago just after that wet weather, I thought maybe water had got in somewhere and caused the fuse to blow. I checked visually and replaced the fuse and everything was good for about a week. However last sat night heading down the M1 to visit the ace it blew again ? On the sunday I checked the wires for any loose connections and to see if any were threaded but could see nothing? Now if i have the bike ticking over everything works fine but if I go for a ride on it after about a mile the fuse blows ?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks Rich
Old 14-06-07, 01:27 PM   #2
silver surfer

Default Re: Help needed .. Electrical Fault !

All bike manufacturers have a habbit of putting the smallest front fender on they can. This causes problems with the SV as the front cylinder hangs out the front of the engine. If your riding in the rain a lot it gets sprayed on to the front cylinder and has a habit of tripping out the dash.

The solution to this, a £15 piece of plastic, Extender Fender. It lengthens the fender enough to stop this happening. All you have to do is take your front fender off, stick the extender on and drill the fender to us the self tapping screws, otherwise it will fall off

This could be one solution to your problem. Hope it helps
Old 14-06-07, 01:37 PM   #3
andy

If you get the problem in the dry as well as the wet then have a real good look at the wiring loom under the tank, they are well known to wear through and touch the frame, casuing all sorts of intermittent electrical faults.
Old 14-06-07, 01:43 PM   #4
richard_1069

I did originally think that was the cause but it not been out in the rain for at least 3 weeks and still blows after about a mile ?

but thanks and it sounds like a good bit of kit for the bike and something I will look into.

Cheers Rich
Old 14-06-07, 01:46 PM   #5
richard_1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
If you get the problem in the dry as well as the wet then have a real good look at the wiring loom under the tank, they are well known to wear through and touch the frame, casuing all sorts of intermittent electrical faults.
Going to be check that this afternoon.

Thanks for info

Rich
Old 14-06-07, 04:11 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help needed - Electrical Fault

Another vote for the wiring loom.Check the area where it goes close to the two bolts that hold the riders seat on,and again near the pillion seat catch where it kinks around the subframe.It might also be worth checking your reg/rectifier to ensure it is not shoving more than 15.5 volts into the battery.
Old 14-06-07, 04:14 PM   #7
andy

The other place to carefully look is where the loom passes the tank hinge - the hinge has sharp edges and can easily wear through
Old 14-06-07, 04:41 PM   #8
SV225

This is weird, I'm having the exact same thing happen on my bike and was gonna post a question on here. It does it in all weathers usually after about 150-250 miles though. I put a 20A fuse in instead of the 15A but yesterday that blew on my way home I'll go check my loom after Neighbours
Old 14-06-07, 08:14 PM   #9
richard_1069

I gave it the once over this afternoon and checked under the tank for any faults, I couldn't find any sign of damage but I did make sure that all the connections were not loose, I have another go saturdaywhen I have more time.

Thanks for all the advice, well apprreciated.

Rich