SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-11, 07:13 PM   #1
TomSV

Default MOD 2 booked + Looking at SV's

Hi guys,

Well I've got my MOD 2 booked for Friday at 08:30 and was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice?

I've always loved the SV and have recently started to be put off it by others opinion not being looks or performance but because they say I'm too tall for the bike

I'm 6'2 and the SV's seat height is only one inch lower than my bike now which is a Honda XL Varadero 125, So is anyone my height and find the bike fine?
I'm obviously going to have a look round and try them out but I'd like to know if I'd regret buying one in the future

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-02-11, 07:30 PM   #2
Bluefish

Default Re: MOD 2 booked + Looking at SV's

Don't matter what other peeps say, test ride one, if you like it buy one simples and as for the test, don't crash
Old 01-02-11, 07:33 PM   #3
Jordy

I'm 6ft and my knees ache after a couple hours but otherwise it's fine, mine would probably be too low for you but there are alot of owners on here 6'2 + and find it fine, just have a test ride of both generations of SV, see if they're comfy for you. Tips for your test - Try to get an hour lesson in before, take your instructors advice and just relax, it's a breeze compared to MOD1 in my opinion.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jordy; 01-02-11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 07:45 PM   #4
beabert

I do think tall people look out of place on the SV, but thats just my opinion, i'm small lol. Good luck!
Old 01-02-11, 07:48 PM   #5
Drumming_Animal

For your test - lifesaver the hell out of everything, any maneuvre you do, anything, check your shoulder, they cant fail you for doing it too much, unless you dont look forwards ever, but if you miss it on something such as overtaking a parked car then theyll pick up on it.

Also keep an eye on your speed. Most importantly, relax, but dont slack off too much, be careful and ride as you should but dont be too tense, if you make a mistake, just move on. I thought i failed 100 metres from starting, but luckily i got away with it.

As for height with the SV, i dont know, im 5 foot 7 and it suits me fine.
Old 01-02-11, 07:53 PM   #6
christopher

I'm 6'1" and have done 400+ motorway miles in a day without any aches. Last Spring/Summer regularly doing 300+ twisty miles in a day for fun was also no problem.

First couple of days doing high(ish) mileage were a bit tiring/sore but that was due to me not bring used to it, not the bike being uncomfortable (once all controls are adjusted to suit).
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:56 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I said this to Barwel last night about his desire for a zx12

Quote:

I know I take the pee, but the only bit of advice I can give you is this.

Go sit on the bike of your desire, when I say sit, I mean sit on it and ask someone to hold it upright off the sidestand for you, whilst doing brum brum noises and you can get both feet on the pegs. If it don't feel as comfortable as an old pair of slippers, it ain't for you.

I say this because I've sat on so many bikes this way and every single one of them has had some sort of bone to be picked with, apart from the SVs of course, which is partially why I never went any bigger for so long, they all weren't for me.

I had the old VRaptor sat in my shed and my ex riding it for three years. I sat on it occasionally but never lifted it off the stand for long. There was always something drawing my attention. Then my attention was taken away by my ex telling me (and a few others) I'd never be able to handle one. The keys were there for the taking, but I never once took them.
One day before he took her away last year, he lifted her off the stand, and I got both feet on the pegs and I sat ...for a very long time. I've never got on with nakid bikes because of my knackered shoulders. She fit me like an old pair of slippers. She really was for me.,

So I got my own, and she fits like a glove, not only that, but shes a pussy cat. I can handle her, but I can see in the wrong hands she'd kill someone. I was also told by both my ex, and Peg that I'd need a screen, because over 70mph you get a good whack of wind that tries lifting you off. I can get it over 90 before that happens....because she fits, I can get her to 100 before I can feel what both my ex and Peg feel at 70...because shes like an old pair of slippers.....she fits my shape.

Buy a bike that fits you, then and only then will it be the bike for you. Its no good listening to those on here that say 'my mate let me have a go on his Daytona once, its the best thing on earth' because chances are.....you'll find it sh1te!
I suppose it could be relevant in your quest for your first bike

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 08:07 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSV View Post
I'd like to know if I'd regret buying one in the future
No you wont. I never ever did. I loved my SV. Well until I got my GSXR anyway...

Theres plenty of people your height and taller who have SV's and manage just fine. Best thing you can do is talk to current and previous owners rather than those who have no idea about the SV other than what they have read on the internet / in magazines.

Which is what you are doing now.

I'm 6ft I have long legs. Yes I made my SV look small, but I was never uncomfortable on it. I loved riding it and it taught my a huge amount about riding in the process.

Test ride and try it, or just buy one and take it from there, if you dont like it you can always sell it on again. If you dont keep it long and buy a decent one you wont loose to much money on it, or in fact anything at all.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 09:14 AM   #9
ImplodedHamster

don't worry about height, i' 6ft6 and fit fine on my pointy
Old 02-02-11, 09:56 AM   #10
Stuuk1

I'm 6"2, I'd recommend getting a pointy rather than a curvy, I felt way too big on the curved so I sold that and got a pointy, feel much more comfortable.

However I did have to change the screen from re standard one to an MRA Spoiler screen, try are amazing and look great to! My knees ache after around an hour, but just stop, have a little walk and you'll be fine for another hour, or just stretch your legs while riding.

Good luck on your test!