SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-22, 11:11 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Xsr700

I test rode the new XSR700 today with a view to getting rid of the Zed which I like to look at but don't like to ride.

The Yamaha was easy to ride, nice gearbox, good brakes, suprisingly comfortable seat (may have been an option). Vibrated more than my SV but not excessively so, pick up was good. Instrument "panel" looked cheap and didn't show anywhere near as much useful info as the AL7 (you had to toggle through to find it).

My only gripe was the footrests were placed exactly where I wanted to put my feet down ie they were in the way. Would I get used to that? Dunno.

I would want a white one which they don't have and, with Yamaha, the dealer has to give the number of bikes required to Yamaha for the year, so you cannot just get one if the dealer hasn't ordered one already.

They've initially offered £8500 for the Zed which is a bit low (I'd get cash back since the Yam is £8k) but they'll haggle. They suggested I borrow their demo for a day to see if I can tolerate the footrest position.
Old 07-06-22, 11:57 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Xsr700

I was chatting to a Zed owner at the Ponderosa a couple of weeks back. He'd had the bike for 3 months and liked it but did say the response was snatchy when going back on the throttle (he'd owned an SV previously and said the throttle sensitivity was much more twitchy than the SV), and he also experienced the crunchy gearchange.

I was admiring a KTM 890 Duke this morning, I do like the looks of those. Would the XSR7 be a bit close to what your SV offers?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 01:11 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
the throttle sensitivity was much more twitchy than the SV, and he also experienced the crunchy gearchange.

I was admiring a KTM 890 Duke this morning, I do like the looks of those. Would the XSR7 be a bit close to what your SV offers?
Strangely, my Zed doesn't seem particularly twitchy on the throttle although the Euro5 one I rode was awful - maybe TPS setting?

Yes, the XSR would be similar to the SV. I have to face the fact though that 900cc bikes are a bit too physically big for me. I came to the same conclusion when I owned a Honda 919 (900 Hornet) but it was smooth to ride and had a good gearbox so I kept it for 16000 miles until I left the US. The Zed is heavy which I could put up with if it was a bit more refined.
I've never considered KTMs and Aprilias to be reliable and there's no local dealer for either - we do have a local BMW dealer but I don't like their smaller bikes.- (small being a relative term with BM )

I thought about a Ducati Monster since they are light (you have to order one) until I read that the suspension was "sporty" which I interpret as "harsh".

I've signed up for info on the new 750 Honda Hornet although they keep talking about making it look like an actual hornet (!) and I'm not a fan of the insectoid look. I suppose a 660 Triumph Trident might make sense, I like the look except for the cowcatcher at the back but the Yam dealer is 2 miles away, the nearest Triumph dealer is 40 miles but the nearest one I would consider using is 60 miles. I've previously owned a 675 Street Triple but 90+ hp is wasted on me, I doubt I'm anywhere close to using all the SV's power.
Old 07-06-22, 03:28 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

His was a 21 plate Z so probably a Euro 5, which may explain the jerky throttle response .... and I totally agree with you on 90+bhp being wasted, I sometimes look at things like the 890 Duke but then remind myself that I hardly ever need to give my SV more than half throttle ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 04:31 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Having forgotten all the lessons I learned with owning the H1F Kawasaki triple, the dealer has an immaculate Kawasaki S2 350 cc triple. I must not buy it.
I meant to add that the new XSR700 is painted to look like the Yamaha RD350LC, white with blue flash. (yes, my SV is also white with blue trim...)
Old 08-06-22, 08:05 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if it were me i would go for the 900 as it has a lot better suspension. yes it has more power but you dont have to use it but its always handy to have in reserve.

the MT-09 is the only bike i would consider over my SV.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 09:31 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if it were me i would go for the 900 as it has a lot better suspension. yes it has more power but you dont have to use it but its always handy to have in reserve.

the MT-09 is the only bike i would consider over my SV.
I owned an MT09SP for 5 weeks and hated it. Awful gearbox, hideous suspension (bearing in mind I bought the "SP" for its superior suspension), sensitive throttle with a flatspot-like effect just off idle which made negotiating 90° turns at junctions fun when the power kicked in. I think the quickshifter had an issue too.

I let a friend ride it and he declared it was "the worst bike he had ever ridden". I liked its light weight (and the colour scheme) but that's all. It is a great hooligan machine but to live with as a daily rider; no thanks

I think I only put 1000 miles on it before I said: "enough!"
Old 08-06-22, 10:48 AM   #8
svenrico

I had test rides a while back on yamaha mt09 and xrs 700 and didn't like either of them. The xrs 700 was the shortest test ride ever,once round the block and back to the dealer. Apart from the seat I suppose the sv650 will take some beating for general all round ability. It is annoying that dealers ,or the manufacturers, can dictate what you can buy. I was 'sort of considering' a honda xadv 750,or more probably now a honda forza 750, for comfort and that scooter protection but with motorcycle performance/handling, but my dealer says you can't get new bikes from stock,you have to order and wait until honda uk can supply one !
ps the forza 750 has a lower seat height which would suit me better than the xadv 750 .
pps is it ever possible to get the bike you like in every respect ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote