SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-12-07, 01:52 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Dyslexia

Does anyone else have this problem like me? I don't mind talking about, if it helps others....

The reason behind the post is becasue I got gave a book by our HR manager at work about dyslexia and how it effects people and what you can do it about. I wasn't sure about the book, so started reading it anyway, it really decsribe the problems I have really well, also what other people have noticed about me and how it effects the way I work.

The book is called Making Dyslexia work for you, ISBN 1-84312-091-7.

I sometimes get very frustraed about it, it annyos me. I didn't find out until I was 21, went through most of school being told I was stupid, by crap teachers, I had to drop chemistry becasue I couldn't handle the maths. I loved science.

I think had I have the suppourt I get now, i would have done so much better, I have nothing but comptept for the education becasue of the way I was treated. If wasn't dyslxic, then my brain would work properly I get annoyed, I'm the top 10% in the UK intelligence wise, it comes down to using it thats the problem!

Well hope it helps someone, and ur not alone, there just aren't that many of us!
Old 20-12-07, 01:57 PM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: Dyslexia

You can always look up the national association of dyslexia.
I think it's the DNA

Only joshing,
merry xmas one and all, off to the pub now....yaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
Old 20-12-07, 01:58 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I have no idea what even defines a dyslexic to be honest. When I type it often makes no sense, i miss out words i was thinking, and more often than not I forget to put say and 's' on the end of word <------much like not putting an 's' on the end of words there.

It makes for hard reading sometimes, and for that I appologise. I often think dyslexia is an excuse for poor grammar, spelling, proof reading and presentation skills. But I would never use it as an excuse myself. I just have all of the above, if people class that as dyslexia then so be it, i have never been tested and diagnosed.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 02:06 PM   #4
metalmonkey

I don't use as an excuse, do you think I do it on purpose? I don't sometimes, I just can't see which round words are meant to be, it gets err confusing when you have to think which round it should be. I read alot of things I write, I have to dam sure its correct as well for work.

But even if it is proof read by me, how I am meant to any different if I don't how the words fit togther in the first place. My own presentation skills are good have taught before.
Old 20-12-07, 02:18 PM   #5
Mogs

A slight derail

Last night ITV broadcast a programmme about drivers striving to pass their test. It turns out that there is an alternative to the standard test for people with dyslexia and other similar disabilites, you have to ask for it in advance as the test is a little longer to allow for the time taken to explain things. Something that I was unaware of. Some people may be failing their test because they dont grasp the instuction and not because thay can't drive.
Old 20-12-07, 02:27 PM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I have cross-lateral dyslexia, diagnosed at about 14 at school.

It's not bothered me too much, occasionally paperwork suffers and some Sgt. gets a bee in his bonnett!

I always use a computer at work to help with spellings and the structure of documents. My problem is I can't see the correct order to write things down in, so the ability to cut'n'paste is a massive help. I also cannot spell anything with double consonants.

It can be good fun, sometimes people who may not appreciate being given a ticket sneer at my appaling handwriting. The look on their face when I explain about dysexia and that they are committing a "hate crime" by laughing at me is truly wonderfull! Not true in any way, shape or form of course, but what the hell!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 02:34 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
I have cross-lateral dyslexia, diagnosed at about 14 at school.

It's not bothered me too much, occasionally paperwork suffers and some Sgt. gets a bee in his bonnett!

I always use a computer at work to help with spellings and the structure of documents. My problem is I can't see the correct order to write things down in, so the ability to cut'n'paste is a massive help. I also cannot spell anything with double consonants.

It can be good fun, sometimes people who may not appreciate being given a ticket sneer at my appaling handwriting. The look on their face when I explain about dysexia and that they are committing a "hate crime" by laughing at me is truly wonderfull! Not true in any way, shape or form of course, but what the hell!
Brilliant! good for you.

And you and our friend Bluthunder are in the same job dont you know so hopefully he'll add that to his box of tricks.

And does this word drive you nuts to look at then...or is it just if you had to spell it that it would be a pain.

The word is.... bookkeeping.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 02:35 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Last night ITV broadcast a programmme about drivers striving to pass their test. It turns out that there is an alternative to the standard test for people with dyslexia and other similar disabilites, you have to ask for it in advance as the test is a little longer to allow for the time taken to explain things. Something that I was unaware of. Some people may be failing their test because they dont grasp the instuction and not because thay can't drive.
I assume this is only on the theory test, either way it seems very strange, if you cant grasp the simple instructions quickly enough, then in an emergency on the road or even reading a road sign is going to be a problem, and hence dangerous?

Quote:
To be honest dude, to me that just sounds like an odd abuse of percieved power to make yourself feel better. Much like the discussion thread the other day on traffic police.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...traffic+police
Old 20-12-07, 02:54 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
To be honest dude, to me that just sounds like an odd abuse of percieved power to make yourself feel better. Much like the discussion thread the other day on traffic police.

Sorry, I'll remember not to have a sense of humour in future. I will also remember not to have any discretion and not to be a human being too.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 03:02 PM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sorry, I'll remember not to have a sense of humour in future. I will also remember not to have any discretion and not to be a human being too.
Making something up in some act of 'one upmanship' isnt sense of humor, it just trying to one over on someone for the sake of being smug. Much like the copper in that post who was stood smilling and insisting on shutting the guys car door for him.

Its only my opinion on it, no offence is meant.