SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-08, 10:11 AM   #1
Ceri JC

Default TomTom Rider/rider2 Question

I bought a TomTom Rider about 2 years back. I've been very happy with it, and it served me well over a fairly high mileage. Eventually, the cradle the tomtom sits in developed a degree of free play between the front and the back and the connection became intermittent and eventually stopped working altogether. I had this cradle replaced under warranty. I noticed that the new cradle they substituted says tomtom rider 2 on it, but it seemed to work fine and assumed the cradles were identical. Now however, less than 3 months after having it (and with considerably fewer miles less use than the old one put up with) the new one seemed to of developed a similar fault. I've had a look and this time, it seems that it's the way the tomtom is held in the cradle that has developed a problem, rather than the cradle itself. I have even noticed a dent/mark on one of the connectors on the tomtom itself, almost like it has been rubbing up against the connectors of the cradle and this has damaged it. So, my question is this:

Does anyone know if the tomtom rider 2 cradle (and presumably the tomtom itself) is any different in shape from the original?

I know they look the same, but are the dimensions different? Due to the way the warranty works, only the new cradle is in warranty and I suspect a new cradle won't make any difference now the tomtom's back connector is scuffed. I'm trying to ascertain if this problem was caused by them providing me with an incompatible cradle and hence if there is grounds to get the tomtom itself repaired/replaced too.

TIA, as ever.
Old 01-04-08, 10:15 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: TomTom Rider/rider2 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I bought a TomTom Rider about 2 years back. I've been very happy with it, and it served me well over a fairly high mileage. Eventually, the cradle the tomtom sits in developed a degree of free play between the front and the back and the connection became intermittent and eventually stopped working altogether. I had this cradle replaced under warranty. I noticed that the new cradle they substituted says tomtom rider 2 on it, but it seemed to work fine and assumed the cradles were identical. Now however, less than 3 months after having it (and with considerably fewer miles less use than the old one put up with) the new one seemed to of developed a similar fault. I've had a look and this time, it seems that it's the way the tomtom is held in the cradle that has developed a problem, rather than the cradle itself. I have even noticed a dent/mark on one of the connectors on the tomtom itself, almost like it has been rubbing up against the connectors of the cradle and this has damaged it. So, my question is this:

Does anyone know if the tomtom rider 2 cradle (and presumably the tomtom itself) is any different in shape from the original?

I know they look the same, but are the dimensions different? Due to the way the warranty works, only the new cradle is in warranty and I suspect a new cradle won't make any difference now the tomtom's back connector is scuffed. I'm trying to ascertain if this problem was caused by them providing me with an incompatible cradle and hence if there is grounds to get the tomtom itself repaired/replaced too.

TIA, as ever.
No idea as I would never buy another TomTom product again.

My Gen 1 TomTom Rider fell out of its cradle and I could not recover it.

TomTom stated that had it fallen out and been recovered but broken they would have replaced it, but as I didnt have the unit I tough luck.

They soon after that started putting a securing strap in the box with the unit, so, in my opinion they were addressing a weakness in their product.

Looking at the Garmin alternative - which comes with a RAM mount, as well as trialling the Garmin software for my phone.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 11:27 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Re: the falling out off the cradle problem; I've never had that on mine in almost 20,000 miles of using it. I have read about it being a problem though, so edged on the side of caution and got one of the attachment things. Quite lucky as it happens as the fact I was using it (and had attached it to the throttle cable clip, rather than just the cradle) saved the tom tom when the original cradle worked its way loose out (partly my fault due to the way I'd modded it to fit the bars). Irrespective of the outcome of this, my next gps (or next cradle for this one) will me ram mounted. I'm pretty sure at least part of the problem (and indeed the tomtom coming out of the cradle one) is the provided mount for the cradle vibrating so much.

I'd be loathe to change as I like the tomtom best in terms of interface/ease of navigation out of all the ones I've seen/used, I've also already bought America and Canada maps on it. Plus, last time I looked into changing, the dedicated Garmin unit was much more pricey, too much even for someone who uses it as much as I do to justify.
Old 02-04-08, 09:32 AM   #4
Ceri JC

No takers?