SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 26-05-07, 02:31 PM   #1
seedy100

Default Avon Storm ST's - First Impressions

Cost £ 139.99 – Busters

Fitting £ 46.00 Drive in – Let them look after it for a week whist I go on holiday – Drive out

Tyres look good; there is still some debris from the labels left on the tread.

The whole bike felt different, very skittish, and unstable.

Took the bike straight home and checked the tyre pressures, both were well over on my (Calibrated) gauge.

Put that right and then go out for a bimble to start scrubbing in.

As soon as I started to lean the difference between these and the old Azaros was obvious. The first 30 miles was a gentle wander over to Ipswich, then about 20 miles around town making best use of the roundabouts, and 30 "spirited" miles home.
With most of the scrubbing in done the 70 mile commute on Monday finished the job off.

For the rest of the week I have been enjoying a new confidence in corners, getting further over than ever before and not feeling like I am suddenly going to fall over.

All the talk about “Squared off” tyres now makes more sense, the sudden “Oh Sh1t” feeling I used to get was probably due to coming off the flat bit.

I am sure that most of the difference was between new tyres and old, rather than between Azros and Storm ST’s.

The last 50 of this weeks 600 miles were ridden in the wet, all seemed fine but I need more wet miles to make a reasonable comparison (note – need not want!)

The one surprise so far is that there are no wear bars. – Must keep an eye on that as they get worn!

In summary I am very pleased with the Storms so far.
If I get the same mileage as I got from the Azaros I will be very pleased.
Old 26-05-07, 06:23 PM   #2
RingDing

Default Re: Avon Storm ST's - First Impressions

I'd be interested in what you think of them over a period of time. I'm currently running Z6's, which are a great tyre (by far the best road tyre I've ever used) but are squaring off in a bit of a wierd way on my bike. Even the front has squared off a bit after 5500 miles. Yes the pressures are correct and I've not been doing rolling stoppies.

The Storm's sound like they should be at least as good as the Z6's from reviews I've seen but should kep their profile better due to the way the carcass flexes. I'd be interested in whether you find this to be the case.

Cheers.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-07, 02:24 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, I'm watching for more reviews of the Pilot Road 2, Storms, and the new BT021... Not that I don't love the Roadtecs but I'm not daft, these are all probably contenders to outlast them without any drawbacks, which is all you can ask really now that tyres are so good. Do you still get the puncture warranty with the Storms?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-07, 03:36 PM   #4
mac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Do you still get the puncture warranty with the Storms?
The 1mm thing? I think so, but not absolutely sure. (Useful eh?)

I replaced my rear Azaro with a Storm about 4000 miles ago. It seems to be wearing at about the same rate as the Azaro did, and also like it, it doesn't really change much in feel as it wears. Certainly as compared to the original fitment Bridgestones.

I was fairly happy with the azaros overall. In the dry or when really wet they behaved as well as you'd expect. They only gave me a couple of scares when it was slightly damp. Having said that though, the storms do seem to be a step up in all conditions, noticeably so in the damp.
Old 27-05-07, 04:23 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I thought the Azaro I had on was easily the worst tyre I've ever used on the SV, but then, I've only used very good tyres so that's not really much of a criticism Hated it in winter though. Very good on snow, as road tyres go, though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-07, 05:51 PM   #6
seedy100

I wasnt aware of any waranty when I bought them, and there was nothing with the tyres when they were delivered.

I will call Busters on Tuesday and find out.
Old 27-05-07, 05:56 PM   #7
suzsv650

Ive got these on my R6

Well!!

i had these put on brand new when i bought the bike ive doen about 3 4 k on them and they stil look good too... these tyers are realy imresive in the dry ive had one side and knee down action is so very easy with positve fead back from the tyer

however when it rains i find them very very slippy and i find myself slipping around on corners (when i had the SV with Z6s) i was fine and i could take corners much better in the rain than i can on the R6

but as soon as winter comes back ill b putting Z6s on the R6 for the winter and back to the avons for the summer cus they realy are soo good in the dry!
Old 27-05-07, 06:45 PM   #8
BristolMatt

I've had the Storms about 500 miles now and I find them great. Saying this I have no had much to compare them to apart from the old, squared BT020's that I got with the bike. 500 miles, not that that is alot, have not had much wearing affect on 'em. They seem to warm up quickly and give good grip both wet and dry.
Seedy100 - TWI is written around the edge of the tyres but I can't see any bars either, unless they make an apperance later on

You do get the puncture warrenty as I found out about 20 miles into my new rear, so only paid £12.50 to get another one fitted , which was nice.
Old 26-06-07, 01:24 PM   #9
mac99

Just got a new set fitted front and rear to replace the worn azaro/storm mix I had before.
I asked about the puncture guarantee, and he said that they have stopped it. Bugger. I bet I get a puncture now.
On the plus side, I can't believe how worn my old ones must have been. The handling's been a little off recently, even with correct pressures. Now it's rock solid stable and predictable in comparison. Went out for a brief 15 mile scrub in so that I don't have to ride home in the pouring rain on brand new rubber.
Old 06-07-07, 09:29 PM   #10
seedy100

Update.

Ive now done 4000 miles on the Storm STs, and for some reason a few of these miles, about 3999 i reckon, have been WET

I can only say I find them fantastic.
Confidence in the wet has gone up immesurably.

My experiance of other tyres is limited, but as things stand at present I anticipate buying another set when these are worn out.

Cant say more than that really.