SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-22, 10:49 PM   #11
stevieo

Default Re: Rear shock linkage and rear caliper

Sorry to revive this old thread but im a bit stuck. I have a 02 curvy, Im trying to replace the complete linkage assembly and a replacement rear shock while im at it.
I really, really dont want to meddle with the exhaust header nuts at all, so my question is how do i do this with exhaust in place?

I have managed to undo the nut that attatches the dogbone to swingarm with a socket and breaker but these nuts are sooo tight.

Ive tried the others from the left (bolt side) but I know I need to be tackling the nut side really but there is no room there for a socket with the exhaust on.
I can see on the pics above the exhaust is in place but has anyone any info on how i do it.
Thanks in advance, Steve

Last edited by stevieo; 13-07-22 at 10:55 PM.
stevieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-22, 07:50 AM   #12
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Steve, I am struggling to remember the details of this job. The exhaust definitely stayed in place, but I can't remember what spanner I used. I have a vague idea I managed to work a ring spanner in there to go on the nut, possibly with a tube over the spanner as an extension.
I'd advise giving the nut/bolt thread a good dowsing in PlusGas and leaving it to soak in first though.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-22, 03:13 PM   #13
stevieo

Thankyou - looking at it there is room for a ring spanner with the wheel off. I didnt think about putting a bar on the spanner though. I have all the nuts and bolts on the new linkage so am ok if i damage anything in the process. Im putting the bike on the stands next week, I was just testing last night to see if I could crack them first. Cheers
Old 14-07-22, 08:18 PM   #14
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Don't forget you can't use a rear paddock stand for the job! It's why I hung my SV off the stepladder.
Old 15-07-22, 07:19 PM   #15
stevieo

Yes, I will be using 2 axle stands, I have also ordered a long reach 17mm ring spanner, 430mm long so should be a big help.
Old 21-07-22, 09:02 PM   #16
garynortheast
Mega Poster

How did you get on with this job Steve?