SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-22, 07:38 PM   #21
GDBD59

Default Re: Carb vacuum

......a lot of bits in the rebuild kit. Is it all easy to replace, therefore should I replace everthing, including the rear carb, which seems to be ok.
Should the main needle be changed....the bike has only done 17k miles.
GDBD59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-22, 09:08 AM   #22
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBD59 View Post
......a lot of bits in the rebuild kit. Is it all easy to replace, therefore should I replace everthing, including the rear carb, which seems to be ok.
Should the main needle be changed....the bike has only done 17k miles.
Quite a few of the bits might not be needed. Just replace the float Needle valves and the Float Needle Valves bases that have the little fuel filter in them and the Carb seal/O-rings.

After you have fully flushed and cleaned the venturi in the Carbs with an Air compressor or using Carb/Brake cleaner and are satisfied then make sure the float heights are set correctly.

Whilst you have the carbs off on the sides of each there's a plate held on with two screws. These are the ACVs ( Air-Cut-Off-Valves). Carefully take the plates off as they are spring loaded and check and clean the mechanism. The ACVs enrich the mixture the the throttle is closed to help prevent the lean mixture and popping and backfires on deceleration.
Old 10-07-22, 10:34 AM   #23
GDBD59

Thanks R1ffR4ff
Old 13-07-22, 10:45 PM   #24
GDBD59

Carbs are very clean inside. Someone's been in them as the float bowl screws are slightly mangled.
The plunger on the float needle valve repair kit are significantly stiffer. ??
I watched a vid on youtube with a guy talking about physically measuring float height. The cradle holding the carbs doesn't help, but I'm unsure as to where to measure. Is it the float edge nearest the carb body or from the raised 'bubble' of the float?
Old 14-07-22, 08:24 AM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Above should help and also one of these videos should help,

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+float+heights

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 14-07-22 at 09:27 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-22, 09:17 AM   #26
GDBD59

Thanks very much. Expanding the image above makes it much clearer. Download done. Cheers.
Old 14-07-22, 09:28 AM   #27
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBD59 View Post
Thanks very much. Expanding the image above makes it much clearer. Download done. Cheers.
No problem. Take your time to get the floats set right. It's one of those jobs that isn't hard but necessary and only needs doing once in a Blue Moon
Old 31-03-23, 12:57 PM   #28
GDBD59

Resurrecting this, - not specifically for vacuum this time. I bought the petcock last year, got the float heights set, & the bike was fine. The bike was unused October to Feb, but partner wanted MOT to be continuous. That was done, & because of rust in the tank, it was brimmed. Later, fuel could be smelled. I suspected it was the overflow as this happened previously. After a few weeks petrol could still be smelled. The hose on the outlet was damp where it fitted, & the petcock body was dirty, -fuel tracking I think. The hose is soft rubber, - also has to mate with an inline fuel filter. I went over the hose connections to achieve a seal. Started the bike. Checked afterwards, still leaking.

I've noticed that the outlet pipe can be turned. Doesn't seem right ???
And when the hose is disconnected from that pipe & the bike left, the fuel smell disappears.
Any explanation please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_12.JPG (43.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 31-03-23, 01:27 PM   #29
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

It's hard to understand from your post where it's leaking. WAs the bike left on it's side-stand ?
Old 31-03-23, 01:35 PM   #30
GDBD59

Yes on the sidestand, but a piece of wood under the stand. Before I took the hose off, it looked like it was leaking at the tank output. Re-fitting, running bike, couldn't stop the leak. It's not confidence inspiring that the outlet can turn. But hose disconnected, no leak. Confused.