SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-22, 07:55 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default 34k miles

6 years, 5 winters, 34k miles, looking good.

Problems, comments?
1) Throttle bodies changed when new to cure cold blooded running on start up. Only partially helped.
2) Very intermittent start-up on 1 cylinder - always at petrol stations and clears immediately. Seems to occur more in colder temps (<7°C)
3) New chain sprockets at 30k miles - not worn but a preventative measure
4) New battery, same reason as above. 6 yrs old.
5) Head bearings needed replacing (at current 34k miles)
6) Seat rebuilt (by Core motorcycle seats) at 300 miles!
7) Givi screen, DL650 hand guards, 25mm handlebar risers (and DL650 clutch cable), Red Fox hugger. World's Biggest Mudflap™ - makes a big difference (but ugly, I know)
8 Estimated fuel range is no longer accurate after a fill up - it slowly recovers as mileage increases. It seemed to start with E10 but correlation does not equal causation (as they say).
9). 80 mpg on last tankful (lots of sedate riding with no slow roadblocks aka: tractors )

In the 6 years of ownership other bikes have come and gone but the SV remains - it does everything I want and continues to be my first choice when going riding.
Old 01-09-22, 01:18 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: 34k miles

Very shiny

I've just hit 42,500 on my 2017, I've done 41,000 of those miles since March 2019. It's not as shiny as yours but it still cleans up well.

Only 'problem' I've had is the fuel gauge readout playing 'Snake' constantly, I believe because the sender in the tank has failed. Frustratingly, this happened a few weeks after the warranty expired, but it doesn't affect running at all so I just ignore it and fill up based on mileage.

Other comments:

1) I also get the intermittent fluffy start-up, only ever occurs after the engine has been switched off for a couple of minutes when hot (such as when refueling) and even then, only very occasionally. It isn't repeatable, and if it does happen a quick blip on the throttle clears it.
2) Still on original factory chain and sprockets, although they're getting changed for the MoT this month. OK, I don't ride in the wet if I can avoid it but that's still a pretty good lifespan. The chain gets 'painted' with a little gear oil every 300 - 400 miles and a wipe with a rag.
3) Engine uses maybe 100 to 200ml between changes every 6,000 miles. I needn't bother topping up but I like to keep the level up close to the F mark.
4) It's never given me less than 70mpg even when ridden hard for a tankful, and averages 75mpg most of the time.
5) Tyres are Avon Storm 3D, I get about 14K from the rear and 16 - 17K from the front. I really recommend them.

Only accessories are a Yoshi TRS can (intended for a Bandit 1250, so it has a very large diameter internal core and a lovely deep tone) and a 'Sit & Fly' mesh seat cover over the standard seat, which makes it much more comfy.

I love the bike.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote