SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-12-23, 12:33 PM   #3861
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

I thought Angela Rayner was the daughter of Claire Rayner a well known agony aunt many years ago.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 22-12-23, 04:50 PM   #3862
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Hallelujah, I've logged off from work for the rest of the year! One of my colleagues leaves at the end of the month and I've inherited one of his areas, which suddenly everyone and their dog is sticking their oar into. Answering everyone and pointing out that no, I cannot validate your cost assumptions if you don't share your workings, has slowed me down so much as I head into year end... When you're an accountant you REALLY don't want that sort of disruption at year end.

Pass the Baileys.
Old 23-12-23, 09:28 PM   #3863
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Phew! That was a long day.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-24, 05:29 PM   #3864
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Was that a tumbleweed I just saw go past?
Old 02-01-24, 05:48 PM   #3865
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Not so quiet here. Severn Trent contractors turned up to fit a water meter outside my house at 8.30am. The existing stop tap is on the pavement but right opposite my drive. So they parked across my drive and put up the regulation signage etc. They must have seen my car in the drive but didn't bother to knock and ask if I might need to get out later. And of course I did need to get out as my wife had an appointment that morning. Luckily I spotted all this before they started digging and I parked up the road once they moved their van.
To be fair it didn't take them too long. I should mention that I didn't request the meter. Severn Trent are rolling meters out to everyone and wrote to me a couple of weeks ago saying that it would happen sometime in January. You'd think given that information that they would do the whole street but no. The contractor told me that they visit properties randomly according to the job controller.

Last edited by admin; 02-01-24 at 08:09 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-24, 07:40 PM   #3866
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I feel SO jealous of you retired guys right now... First day back after Chrimbo and it was a 7am start to get some of my tasks done before other people logged on and started pestering me. Gave up at 6 as I was making mistakes. Good job I was working at home today.

Thames Water have told us, not asked mind, that we're getting a water meter at some point soon too. I'll look out for them blocking the drive as I seriously doubt they bother to be helpful somehow. Personally I'd rather they fixed some of their leaks than spend time installing meters.
Old 02-01-24, 08:12 PM   #3867
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I plan to switch to metered water readings. I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper for us.

Old 02-01-24, 08:36 PM   #3868
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Was that a tumbleweed I just saw go past?
Unlikely where I am - tumbleweed tends not to launch from underwater or when wet through. Apparently today's weather is officially Storm Henk - lots of flooding nearby. Driving home from work required navigating some roads that had become rivers or ponds. (South Derbyshire.) Still shallow thankfully. And to think I had [briefly and idly] thought about taking the bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I feel SO jealous of you retired guys right now...
This! My day at work in the office was also pretty frustrating - got in to discover a Freedom of Information request related to one of my projects had finally ended up in my Inbox after the FOI receiving department had spent since 15 December pushing it to the wrong part of the company. (There's a statutory deadline to turn these things around, that takes no account of days off or Bank Holidays.) Talk about being put on the back foot and having my intended plan for the day shredded! And it's possibly a sign of the beginning of a PR saga that no-one will want to help me handle, either.

And, also, my work phone decided to brick itself instead of just dealing with the passcode change that it demanded I make (regular changes being one of the joys of our IT security policy) I'm waiting 'til tomorrow to make the helpdesk call.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 09:11 AM   #3869
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Morning orgers. Yet another wet day. There is so much water everywhere now. The rivers are full around here, and all that water is now heading for Shrewsbury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I feel SO jealous of you retired guys right now...
We're doing it for all you folks who aren't yet retired Trevor. Keeping the seat warm as it were....
Old 03-01-24, 09:28 AM   #3870
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Lots of flooded roads around Shrewsbury yesterday such as the A49 and A53. I don't recall it being so bad. The flood barriers are up in Shrewsbury town centre and some of the car parks are closed. It'll get worse over the coming days as water will be on its way from the Welsh hills.