SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-22, 03:55 PM   #2581
CheGuevara

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Removed my forks and boxed them up... Ready to send to Maxton for the full SD25 cartridge treatment.

Recently (and finally) decided to not go the GSXR route this time, and spend the £ on improving what's already there. Not to say I'll never do it in the future, but this made sense to me for now, as I've already got two sets of SV wheels/brakes.

I may have a set of very lightly used K-tech 10.0 N/mm linear springs available soon if anyone is keen (also have the stock springs -low mileage).

Last edited by CheGuevara; 22-01-22 at 03:57 PM.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-22, 10:20 AM   #2582
Bibio
Mega Poster

superb choice. those cartridges will out perform all standard gsxr forks.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-22, 07:32 PM   #2583
svenrico

Not so much tinkered with much but ridden a few times this week. Not really advisable. After cleaning and waxoyling where appropriate ,ride out resulted in covering of salty road spray, requiring cleaning again. Ride in strong winds yesterday not good and a bit 'unsettling'. Riding into sun low in sky at this time of year needs avoiding as well .
Roll on spring .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 03:18 PM   #2584
CheGuevara

Installed these from projection-components (just the disks so far - will look at the steering bearings tomorrow):

Digital scale says 357g vs 700g for the well-worn original. I'm happy with them, but will swap out the included bolts as they're a bit nasty (quite sloppy fitting on good Koken and Wiha hex bits), and could probably wouldn't hurt if they were 5mm longer.

Here's one of the included bolts next to a titanium copy of the original (both weigh 9g):

Last edited by CheGuevara; 05-02-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 03:24 PM   #2585
CheGuevara

Also started disassembling my exhaust the other day, and was surprised to find this:

It never occurred to me there might be one in there (I've googled now and it's normal in later pointys of course).
Old 05-02-22, 07:11 PM   #2586
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
Installed these from projection-components (just the disks so far - will look at the steering bearings tomorrow):

Digital scale says 357g vs 700g for the well-worn original. I'm happy with them, but will swap out the included bolts as they're a bit nasty (quite sloppy fitting on good Koken and Wiha hex bits), and could probably wouldn't hurt if they were 5mm longer.

Here's one of the included bolts next to a titanium copy of the original (both weigh 9g):

The bolts are completely different !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 09:11 PM   #2587
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
The bolts are completely different !
I suspect the one on the left is designed for floating disc fittings but the one on the right for rigid discs.

The discs pictured look like rigid type (no bobbins in the fixing holes).
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 09:59 PM   #2588
CheGuevara

Nah both are solid discs. The stock ones though are thicker have a larger bore (10mm) and are counter-bored which explains the shouldered bolt.The replacement discs are thinner and drilled to the same diameter as the bolt (8mm). If you drilled them out to 10mm and tried to use the shouldered bolt, I think it would bottom out leaving the thinner disc flapping about a bit.

I'm assuming the stock arrangement uses the shouldered bolt for a bit more precision in aligning the disc.
Old 05-02-22, 10:06 PM   #2589
CheGuevara

Just to be clear(in case it's it obvious) -these are rear discs - I've got two sets of wheels.
Old 06-02-22, 11:39 AM   #2590
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
Nah both are solid discs. The stock ones though are thicker have a larger bore (10mm) and are counter-bored which explains the shouldered bolt.The replacement discs are thinner and drilled to the same diameter as the bolt (8mm). If you drilled them out to 10mm and tried to use the shouldered bolt, I think it would bottom out leaving the thinner disc flapping about a bit.

I'm assuming the stock arrangement uses the shouldered bolt for a bit more precision in aligning the disc.
Fair do's. Cheers for the clarification. I often get stuff wrong!

What you describe also makes sense to me. You definitely don't want loose discs if they're meant to be solid. Maybe you can find an aftermarket replacement bolt that has a small 8mm shoulder to give the best fit?

Last edited by Ruffy; 06-02-22 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo correction
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote