SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-21, 02:49 PM   #9841
ethariel

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Nothing to do with Brexit then ?!
Change of rules following Brexit.

And the whole Brexit thing has been done to death, at the end of the day we live in a democracy and the Majority chose to leave so that's that (democracy has it's faults but it's better than living in anarchy or a police state or a dictatorship where people vanish in the middle of the night never to be seen again imho)
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 03:06 PM   #9842
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
Change of rules following Brexit.

And the whole Brexit thing has been done to death, at the end of the day we live in a democracy and the Majority chose to leave so that's that (democracy has it's faults but it's better than living in anarchy or a police state or a dictatorship where people vanish in the middle of the night never to be seen again imho)
We are still finding out the effects of Brexit (or the c*ck ups the government is making of it !) and it has nothing to do with anarchy or living in a police state.
Whatever way you feel about it, we are still allowed to comment.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 03:33 PM   #9843
svenrico

Italian player not being given red card for diabolical foul on Grealish.
Old 12-07-21, 04:00 PM   #9844
ethariel

Always happy to talk about brexit.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 06:44 PM   #9845
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post

It's almost as if some dealers are using Covid as an excuse for doing less work - hopefully people will get the message and just go elsewhere.
This is very true, and not limited to bikes. With the culls that all manufacturers have had over the last ten years I have to travel at least 20 miles to find a Honda dealer, and then they're sniffy...

Bit like a disappointing trip to my local garden machinery store on Saturday. Local indie shop, pukka kit, where the forestry trade go, good service. Usually. Right now they're closed on Saturdays until further notice "due to covid". Rubbish! They have a huge showroom with no distancing issues at all, and half the site is outdoors. If they open five days a week they can still do Saturday mornings for those of us that actually, you know, have a job!
Old 12-07-21, 10:31 PM   #9846
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
This is very true, and not limited to bikes. With the culls that all manufacturers have had over the last ten years I have to travel at least 20 miles to find a Honda dealer, and then they're sniffy...

Bit like a disappointing trip to my local garden machinery store on Saturday. Local indie shop, pukka kit, where the forestry trade go, good service. Usually. Right now they're closed on Saturdays until further notice "due to covid". Rubbish! They have a huge showroom with no distancing issues at all, and half the site is outdoors. If they open five days a week they can still do Saturday mornings for those of us that actually, you know, have a job!
I was surprised by the number of cafes, apart from fish and chip shops, still closed at the coast, Whitby in particular.
Old 13-07-21, 01:23 PM   #9847
rowdy

Going to motorbike shop that I’d taken my sons Chinese piece of crap to a month ago for other work, told he could look at it this week, load bike in van, take it to bike shop, unload bike, told he won’t work on it because it’s Chinese!

Guess the 850GS, the SV, the Tiger 800 or the VFR400 won’t be going back there!
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-21, 10:23 PM   #9848
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Going to motorbike shop that I’d taken my sons Chinese piece of crap to a month ago for other work, told he could look at it this week, load bike in van, take it to bike shop, unload bike, told he won’t work on it because it’s Chinese!

Guess the 850GS, the SV, the Tiger 800 or the VFR400 won’t be going back there!
Can you say what Chinese make it is ? A lot of things are now made in China of course, aren't Benelli now Chinese for example?
Old 15-07-21, 09:41 PM   #9849
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Can you say what Chinese make it is ? A lot of things are now made in China of course, aren't Benelli now Chinese for example?
Yeh Benelli are Chinese. Some triumphs and even BMW’s are made in China too apparently. The bike is a Sinnis. They are based in Portslade, not a million miles away from wemoto. Which is handy as both on my doorstep. The bike is based on a Yamaha ybr, and is very similar. The previous owner has even changed the stock exhaust for a ybr one. It’s not a bad bike really, certainly better to ride than the Yamaha 125 I did my cbt on but that was 20 years ago! Nuts and bolts like to fall out, they are not put together particularly well, but if you go round them with a bit of thread lock and keep them maintained they are ok for the price.

My problem was the clutch cable, it had frayed and wouldn’t work so got a new cable direct from sinnis but couldn’t get it to adjust up. Previous owner had bodged the old one. New one had correct part number printed on the outer sheath. Bloke I took it to a month ago suddenly decided he won’t work on Chinese bikes. Luckily there is another bike place half a mile down the road. Took it straight there and they took it straight in and on the bench. They said the cable is too long and they didn’t have a solderless nipple to shorten it.
I have a bike shop 50yds from my doorstep but he won’t work on anything that isn’t Italian. He’s happy to look and give me guidance but won’t touch it, and gave me a solderless nipple for the cable, so I had it fixed in half hour.
Neither these last two bike shops charged me for their time.

Just a bit miffed that the first bloke had worked on and knew the bike, I’d told him what the problem was and he said he wouldn’t be able to look at it until Tuesday, so on the Tuesday I load the van up and take it there and he wouldn’t do the work.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-21, 05:45 AM   #9850
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Yeh Benelli* are Chinese. Some triumphs** and even BMW’s*** are made in China too apparently
* correct: owned by Geely (Volvo, London black cabs and many more)

**Thailand - 3 factories.

*** engines and some engine parts. Also have plants in Brazil, Thailand and India