SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-09, 07:11 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Let me get this right ... (offroad/greenlane)

So now you can do sod all riding in England, and practically none in Scotland?

Wanting to tour the UK doing a fair bit of off roading would be a ridiculous plan right?

I remember the law when it came in, but I didn't realise quite how extreme it was. Just what are we protecting?

(and if I get caught, what's the penalty? )
Old 06-01-09, 07:16 PM   #2
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Let me get this right ... (offroad/greenlane)

Dunno.

Don't get caught!

Not helping much am I!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 07:29 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
Dunno.

Don't get caught!

Not helping much am I!

Pete
Nope, but you stopped this being a thread with no replies because that sucks ass!
Old 06-01-09, 07:33 PM   #4
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Just what are we protecting?
A bunch of bobble hat wearing ramblers who don't like our nasty dangerous machines. It ruines their Sunday stroll in the country. Oh dear - get a F'in life. Just another example of rights being removed beacuse some busy bodies kick up a fuss. Grrrr makes me mad. horses cause just as much damage to tracks as bikes and they are public rights of way.
Old 06-01-09, 07:39 PM   #5
the white rabbit

The amount still available is highly variable since in many areas RUPPs are now resticted and on many byways TROs are in place. In Wales there is still a fair amount, Wiltshire, parts of Glos and the Peaks/Yorks not bad. Around my way for example there is very little.
But there is plenty to keep you amused if you know where to look for it. Go to Europe, AdvRider or TBM forum, UKGser or somewhere and ask.
Other thing is many trail riders are protective of routes they know, so can be trickier to break in unless you are TRF sometimes and in other cases because of a genuine fear that any more riders will bring about TROs. There's also a lot of idiots about like in all walks of life.

Around here I have ridden the odd RUPP, which is 'probably' illegal, but these tend to be ones with an obvious history of use and therefore often a claim for a lifting of a restriction on them. In Wales on the bigger ADVrider weekends we are 100% legal and can ride all weekend with minimal road work. In a small group in Wales and some other places you can also do a bit of sneaking about on OS white roads which are sometimes a bit dubious but depending on if you keep numbers down, don't have a stupid noisy bike or look like a motocrosser and have the right attitude to walkers and horses (stopping in good time and switching off engines which is what you have to do like it or not to not be the bad guy) it is ok in my experience.

Should you wish to ride illegally do beware that although in reality little will probably happen other than a threat of impounding or something (but do note there are more and more local plod on the lookout) it is likely your insurance won't be valid for when you frighten a horse or knock down a walker and what you will do is help to alienate trail riding and get lanes restricted or TRO'd (which can happen for the most dubious of reasons).

But depending on where you are, the situation isn't as gloomy as some like to make out IMO. In other areas it is gloomy.

Give me a shout when it warms up if you like. I keep planning to do Wales top to toe as much off-road as pos but it didnt come off last year and also the enduro wasn't the best for carrying a toothbrush and spare pants

Last edited by the white rabbit; 06-01-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 07:45 PM   #6
tinpants
Ubique

Plenty in the Forest of Dean and surrounding area. We do an annual Long Distance Trial around Easter that has 20 or so sections over about 90 miles. Of those 90 miles probably 40 or so are off road. The trails ans tracks are there. You just have to look for them.
Old 06-01-09, 07:46 PM   #7
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
A bunch of bobble hat wearing ramblers who don't like our nasty dangerous machines. It ruines their Sunday stroll in the country. Oh dear - get a F'in life. Just another example of rights being removed beacuse some busy bodies kick up a fuss. Grrrr makes me mad. horses cause just as much damage to tracks as bikes and they are public rights of way.
Rise above it. One problem is that for every PIA rambler there is an idiot on a bike. Personally I get mildly-outraged by people on mountain bikes when I am out walking footpaths.

Last edited by the white rabbit; 06-01-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 07:47 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white rabbit View Post

Give me a shout when it warms up if you like.
Will do, good reply thanks

Been wanting to buy a daytona 955, but I've been reading too much Ted Simon, and now want a 950 Adventure doh!
Old 06-01-09, 07:50 PM   #9
tinpants
Ubique

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Horses actually cause MORE damage to tracks and green-lanes than bikes. Last years Annual LDT ( The Wyegate Long Distance Trial) had over 120 competitors. There was more damage done to the lanes by 2 horseriders the day after the trial than there was on the day of the actual event. Go figure!!?
Old 06-01-09, 07:56 PM   #10
the white rabbit

Yes they can do on the muddy softer lanes but they are really just churning it up are they not? I know some real unsurfaced roads (ie wide and stony) over the border's way where there are massive bog holes or deep double ruts dug by 4x4s and most likely farm vehicles. No doubt these will end up TROd through overuse with a lack of maintenance. In years gone by folks would have maintained the green lanes, much less so now.

But whatever, the horses have the historical precedent so its a hard one to get over.

Last edited by the white rabbit; 06-01-09 at 08:00 PM.