SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Moto GP Goto Moto GP Official Site

Old 19-05-16, 12:13 PM   #1
Griff-SV

Thumbs up The Next Chapter of The Silly Season

The next chapter of the Silly Season

So as I am sure those of you who keep tabs on the latest news out of the MotoGP paddock will be aware that another of the worst kept secrets is out and will be formally announced at today’s press conference in Mugello. Maverick Viñales is off to Yamaha for the 2017 -18 seasons partnering up with Valentino Rossi. Suzuki didn’t have much hope in retaining the young Spaniard who was faced with making the decision of riding a well-proven race & championship winning bike or carry on developing his current steed to hopefully win one day. Personally I’d have loved to see him stay on with Suzuki and try to win races or even a championship eventually, a bit of a Kevin Schwantz like moment I suppose. However, MV has oodles of talent, is still young and very ambitious so the Yamaha really is the better option for having a shot at a title over the next couple of seasons.

To add to the rumours and speculation, both MCN and El Pais reported that Dani Pedrosa had a contract offer with Yamaha on the table; this may or may not have been true with some speculating it as possibly a tactic by Yamaha to encourage MV to hurry up and make his decision. DP has now signed on for another two years with HRC, which may be seen by some as a shame as having DP on the Yamaha would have made a nice change from the norm. DP is a very good rider with one 125cc and two 250cc championships to his name. He came very close in 2012 to wining the MotoGP title and is definitely the calm & dependable second rider a team would always want to have, something HRC clearly recognise. Unfortunately with DP remaining at HRC he will without doubt stay the second rider, always the bridesmaid but never the bride.

Another rider to remain with their current team is Andrea Dovizioso, who by all accounts has had the most rotten start to a season by far. A superb second place at the opener in Qatar should have been a good omen for AD as it showed he had good pace and was getting on well with the Ducati GP-16 which had produced good results in testing (see Casey Stoner’s lap times). However, come the second round in Argentina his luck went right out the window starting with being taken out by a ridiculous overtaking move from his own team-mate on the last lap, then being t-boned by DP at turn one of the Texas GP, technical issues forcing him out of Jerez and most recently his spectacular synchronised crash with Marc Marquez at Le Mans – Does this guy need a break or what?!
Fortunately for AD the powers that be at Ducati have deemed his more worthwhile in keeping than his teammate who hasn’t covered himself in glory so far this season. AD has been a fantastic development rider for Ducati and hopefully he’ll be rewarded for his efforts in the races and seasons to come.

With both seats in the Ducati factory squad now taken it meant that Andrea “The Maniac Joe” Iannone will no longer be riding a Duke after this season. Ironically AI had been the odds on favourite for keeping his ride for the next two seasons with a contract almost on the table, unfortunately taking out your team-mate and crashing the bike whilst pushing too hard too early on in the race seems to have cost him his seat. All is not lost though just this morning Suzuki confirmed that AI would be taking the place of the departing MV, which by all accounts isn't the worst seat in the paddock to inherit. The GSX-RR has come on a fair way since its return in 2015 and it’s another full factory ride which will come with its benefits. Will AI now become the No.1 rider at Suzuki though? AI is a very good rider, with a proven capability of achieving podiums and in time no doubt wins also.

Stand-by as I’m sure the next epic chapter of the Silly Season will unfold soon enough!

Cheers.
Old 19-05-16, 07:45 PM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: The Next Chapter of The Silly Season

A great write-up and your quite correct that the season is "silly" in quite a few ways.

I for one (being a pacifist) cringe at the podium "celebrations" this season with the cold shoulder coming from JL VR and MM. Why can;t we all just get along

I know it ain't so simple but come on guys, surely its time to sit down, clear the air and move on, its depressing to see them act like teenagers.

Anywho, I'll look forward to the next update Griff!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-16, 03:57 PM   #3
Griff-SV

Default Re: The Next Chapter of The Silly Season

Cheers Mike, I really appreciate the feedback.

Unfortunately this situation has now gone on too long and been blown way out of proportion, not helped by the media unsurprisingly, and all parties need to bury the hatchet.

You're absolutely right about the post race farce, all it'll take is for VR to extend a hand or give a pat on the shoulder get something back from MM or JL (or vice versa) and move on. They don't need to be the best of friends but for crying out loud they need to be grown up about it!

I'll hopefully have some more stuff to write about post Mugello. Also if anyone reading my write-up/s has any feedback, good or bad, please do let me know as it'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers.