SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-21, 09:13 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Dressing up

Our leader playing dress up:

Now that PM Plod is on the case, we'll soon have the UK's drug problem fixed.
Old 07-12-21, 09:47 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dressing up

Amusingly, a couple of people have reported him for impersonating a police officer.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 10:06 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

like every other PM before him.

he may be a buffoon but he's a game buffoon.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 08:53 PM   #4
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
like every other PM before him.

he may be a buffoon but he's a game buffoon.
+1. I'm not sure about the use of the word "leader" for this sort of reference.

BJ may be our current Prime Minister but he doesn't strike me as particularly visionary or selfless. Who knows where we'll end up if we follow or if it will be good for us?!!! I just think there's a big difference between being a genuine leader and being a chief executive, principal administrator, manager or playground prefect.

(BTW, this isn't a statement about political leanings or a dig at Seeker - I had much he same issue when Blair and Brown were PMs. It's a complaint against the drift of the English Language. For me, the same annoyance arises when people refer to the USA as the "leader of the free world" - utter claptrap*. Hmmm, perhaps this should be in Gripe of the Day post? Sorry!)

*stronger words are available in non-'U'-rated places!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 10:09 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
+1. I'm not sure about the use of the word "leader" for this sort of reference.
I deliberately used the word "leader" in a mocking way since that is how Kim Jong-Un of North Korea is typically described.

The way that Boris has perfected the jovial clown charisma as a deflection tool as he dismantles our democracy and issues a continual stream of falsehoods and broken promises (and gets away with it) is quite clever, in a diabolical way.

The way people continue to think he's doing a fine job is quite "cult" like and reminds me of NK.

Last year's Downing St party is classic. Boris is satisfied (he says that a lot) that all covid rules were met, yet we have a whistleblower saying it was a party and now this video has been released mocking us plebs.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-07/...y-later-denied

Will he get away with it? Of course.
Old 08-12-21, 01:00 AM   #6
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I deliberately used the word "leader" in a mocking way since that is how Kim Jong-Un of North Korea is typically described.
Ah, fair do's - it went over my head. Sorry! (I wrongly assumed that you had succumbed to a subconscious synonym choice that happens to aggravate me.)
Quote:
The way that Boris has perfected the jovial clown charisma as a deflection tool as he dismantles our democracy and issues a continual stream of falsehoods and broken promises (and gets away with it) is quite clever, in a diabolical way.

The way people continue to think he's doing a fine job is quite "cult" like and reminds me of NK.

Last year's Downing St party is classic. Boris is satisfied (he says that a lot) that all covid rules were met, yet we have a whistleblower saying it was a party and now this video has been released mocking us plebs.

I just can't make my mind up whether there's extreme, astute cleverness at work or whether Hanlon's Razor should apply: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". Whichever it is, defending the indefensible is a very strange stance, utterly baffling and unpalatable to me.

I agree the government and wider political system in this country does seem to have become more akin to a soap-opera pastiche of a very strange world, rather than reflecting a reality recognisable to most of the general populous, which is all the more troubling given it is, of course, definitely very real indeed. I'm still reeling from Raab's bizarre comment about the police seemingly not investigating the past. Perhaps "Minority Report" isn't fiction after all!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 11:53 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:

Or maybe not. All interviews by ministers on today's tv (Wed 8Dec2021) have been cancelled:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/new...-gmb-v4f232b5e

I can just imagine the ministers quickly rifling through their book of euphemisms for lies: white lie? untruths? fibs? "I mis-spoke"? "Alternative truths". "Cheese and wine isn't really a party as such", "Nothing to see here". "Well, yes, technically it might be considered a party, but all rules were mostly followed". "It wasn't a "party"- party, just an informal get together".

yeah, let's go with "Alternative Truths", Trump's spokesperson used it and got away with it.
Old 08-12-21, 01:26 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
.... I just can't make my mind up whether there's extreme, astute cleverness at work or whether Hanlon's Razor should apply: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". .....
Bear in mind this article is by the Grauniad, so it has its own agenda, however it provides more food for thought.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp

You will notice that in his statement today at PMQs he used the standard verbal trick of apologising for the effects of the actions, but not for the actions themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...as-party-video

Quote from the article - Before taking any questions, Johnson told the Commons he was “also furious to see that clip”, saying: “I can understand how infuriating it would be to think that the people who have been setting the rules have not been following the rules.”

He continued: “I apologise unreservedly for the offence that it has caused up and down the country, and apologise for the impression that it gives.”

At least Trump was open enough to say that he could walk down the street and shoot someone in the head, and his followers would still vote for him. Johnson thinks the same it would appear, and up till now they have continued to support him regardless of what he does. Surely at some point that must come to an end ..... surely?? Or maybe not, just look at the dictators of the past.
Old 08-12-21, 02:02 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

New investigation announced into the Downing St staff behaviour but Johnson still maintains no covid rules were broken. Has he already decided the outcome of this then?
Old 08-12-21, 06:02 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

the way i look at it is these people run our country, good or bad. if they let off a little steam during the festive season then i think they are entitled to it. ok so they broke the rules that THEY made... its not like they were out deliberately to throw it in the public's face. i dont think people actually realise just how hard some of these politicians work for their "basic" sh!t wages. jeezz i know a few Joiners that earn more than the PM's base pay.

yes there were more than likely people out there that could not get too see their loved ones who were dying but they would not have been able to see them anyway so its a moot point.

you only break rules/laws if you get caught otherwise you have not broken any rules/laws. deniability is the preferred choice of action.

lets face it they haven't done nearly as bad as chemically castrating a genius due to them being gay........ the public need to get on with their own lives and leave others alone...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote