SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-21, 04:21 PM   #5571
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMessy View Post
So I have just applied for my OAP Bus Pass. So Flying Tiger, City Zapper and Coastliner here I come! One of the perks of being old. Though in London, Wales, Scotland and NI. They get them at 60!
I've had mine for a while now although I didn't apply for it straight away when I turned sixty. I don't use it that much (not many buses around here sadly) but it's useful when I do need to. I can also use it on certain Transport for Wales trains to get free travel between October and March.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 05:21 PM   #5572
redtrummy

Just been on a cultural tour of Leicester, with friends, using mine (pi-s up) would not travel any other way! (Not if I intended to sample a few anyway)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 05:31 PM   #5573
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMessy View Post
So I have just applied for my OAP Bus Pass. So Flying Tiger, City Zapper and Coastliner here I come! One of the perks of being old. Though in London, Wales, Scotland and NI. They get them at 60!
Why not in England now? Had mine a while now in England. We can only use ours in England. Wonder if Scotland, Wales and NI can use theirs in England.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 05:33 PM   #5574
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Just been on a cultural tour of Leicester, with friends, using mine (pi-s up) would not travel any other way! (Not if I intended to sample a few anyway)
Trouble with that is I would need to get off the bus to have a p**s !
Old 07-12-21, 07:13 PM   #5575
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Why not in England now? Had mine a while now in England. We can only use ours in England. Wonder if Scotland, Wales and NI can use theirs in England.
From the TfW website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TfW
Your (Welsh) Concessionary Travel Card is valid on all eligible bus services that operate in Wales, including those commencing/terminating at points adjacent to Wales, provided that the cross-boundary journey doesn’t involve a change of bus in England. You can also use selected rail services operating in Wales.

Please be aware you can’t use your card on coach services such as National Express, Megabus or City Sightseeing. However, companies may offer discounts to Concessionary Travel Cardholders.

Last edited by garynortheast; 07-12-21 at 07:15 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 02:10 PM   #5576
Seeker
Mega Poster

I got to ride! I took the SV out, it was 13°C, the roads were wet but then the sun came out. I know we are a few months from spring (and there are still 9 days to the Solstice) but it felt like spring. I only rode 35 miles but it's amazing how it lifts the spirits. 50 years of riding and it still hasn't got old.
Old 12-12-21, 02:31 PM   #5577
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I got to ride! I took the SV out, it was 13°C, the roads were wet but then the sun came out. I know we are a few months from spring (and there are still 9 days to the Solstice) but it felt like spring. I only rode 35 miles but it's amazing how it lifts the spirits. 50 years of riding and it still hasn't got old.
+10

Mid-Week forecast good as well around here
Old 12-12-21, 08:18 PM   #5578
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
That's a 'glass half full attitude' I can't help thinking 3 months of winter to get through !
Old 12-12-21, 11:18 PM   #5579
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Wonder if Scotland can use theirs in England.
nope.

Scotland is free travel on buses anywhere in Scotland. some districts also have concessionary rail and subway. islands get two free ferry tickets a year.

just over english border places like berwick upon tweed and carlisle also count for free buss.

i get concessionary (£1) off peak (station to station) rail in fife. e.g. i can go from kirkcaldy to st andrews for £1 then somewhere else from st andrews for £1 so on and so on. i can go to inverkeithing for £1 then to edinburgh for £2.55 (£3.55 total) which would otherwise be £4.60. i think "on fife border" places such as dundee, kinross, perth also counts as £1 rail.

as far as i'm aware there are loads of other benefits in fife/scotland such as ticket entry to historic scotland with blue badge etc.etc.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 12:57 PM   #5580
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
nope.
Scotland is free travel on buses anywhere in Scotland. some districts also have concessionary rail and subway. islands get two free ferry tickets a year.
just over english border places like berwick upon tweed and carlisle also count for free buss.
i get concessionary (£1) off peak (station to station) rail in fife. e.g. i can go from kirkcaldy to st andrews for £1 then somewhere else from st andrews for £1 so on and so on. i can go to inverkeithing for £1 then to edinburgh for £2.55 (£3.55 total) which would otherwise be £4.60. i think "on fife border" places such as dundee, kinross, perth also counts as £1 rail.
as far as i'm aware there are loads of other benefits in fife/scotland such as ticket entry to historic scotland with blue badge etc.etc.
Yes, Scotland does seem to get better deals on things than we do in England; student fees being an obvious case.
When I went from near Edinburgh to Fort William on an AA breakdown truck when the car broke down while we were on one of our many holidays in Scotland a few years ago, the AA driver was on his way back home up to Thurso and he was telling us he toured up and down the west coast by train because he got some sort of concession.