SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-10-21, 09:59 PM   #21
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: £82,000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
....David Davis MP .... He used to be the Brexit negotiator until he was relieved for being useless (and lazy).
Oh come on now. Even the EU Commission said he had regular meetings with them while Brexit Minister.
Four meetings in 2 years, that's one meeting every six months, regular as clockwork.
Old 28-10-21, 10:36 AM   #22
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Sorry I should have said other income(s), not other "jobs", as they're not jobs as you or I know them. Not jobs that use all your waking hours and keep you exhausted enough to not rise up and instead behave like a good minion at the bottom of the money churning pyramid... oops, getting carried away. (Can you tell I'm at work today dealing with random acts of idiocy?)
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-21, 10:21 PM   #23
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I think your problem is defining "work". David Davis MP is an "external advisor" to JCB, he advises them 20 hours per year for £60,000.
He also "works" for Mansfelder Kupfer und Messing (German manufacturing company) for 6 months for £36,000, not sure how many hours he has to put in here but he is known for being lazy, so not too many. He used to be the Brexit negotiator until he was relieved for being useless (and lazy).

BoZo used to get £23,000/month for writing a Telegraph column and one speaking engagement netted £29,000 (before he was PM).

They don't need to put in much time to rake in the money.
I know they get exhorbitant amounts for very little time spent. I can get over the rates, but I can't morally excuse the time lost to the core job, however little that time is. My gripe is purely about the time - any time away compromises the duty.

20 hours is still c.3 working days when he could be productively meeting constituents, researching government policies, reading and critiquing papers for debate in the House, hunting out efficiencies in his constituency office operation to keep expenses down.

Even if Bozo spent only a couple of hours each month writing those columns, that could have been spent dealing with correspondence more quickly, sorting cabinet discipline and alignment, contemplating national policy issues.

Etc. etc.

Being an MP, and especially being a Government Minister, is definitely not the same as a regular job. I do make a distinction. It should be an 'always-on' role (a bit like the principle of a soldier being deployed overseas to a battle zone), with time away from the demands of the core role being for proper R&R so they're fresh and on top form when they are 'on duty' dealing with MP activities. Time 'off duty' shouldn't be spent delivering work for others, however broad the definition of 'work'. Also, I think they should be 'independent' and solely dedicated to the interests of the nation as far as possible - paid activity undermines that and introduces a clear bias, or significant risk of it.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 04:33 PM   #24
redtrummy

When I started my apprenticeship I went round all the various departments to get an understanding of what everyone did.I would like all these politicians to get out on the 'coal face' to see what life for the common man is really about.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 11:53 PM   #25
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
And try living on a state pension......
I am doing at the moment (although to be honest my wife is working part time and I do have a private pension to fall back on if needed ) Must have a frugal lifestyle !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 11:54 PM   #26
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Especially as most of his living expenses are covered by Parliamentary expenses. Not to mention his copper bottomed pension when he does retire.
Yes, they made sure their pensions were protected didn't they.
Old 02-11-21, 11:58 PM   #27
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
politicians pay income tax like everyone else so 1/3 of their wages goes back. i personally think politicians should be paid more. lets face it there is only about 650 of them.

i heard that the head of fife council gets paid more than what the prime minister gets paid. tell me that's fair.
A lot of chief officers of local councils will get paid more than the prime minister.
Old 03-11-21, 12:06 AM   #28
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
When I started my apprenticeship I went round all the various departments to get an understanding of what everyone did.I would like all these politicians to get out on the 'coal face' to see what life for the common man is really about.
You would hope they aren't completely divorced from reality. How many of us know what is involved in other people's jobs anyway ?!
Old 03-11-21, 12:11 AM   #29
svenrico

As far as our MP's are concerned, I think they at least believe in the parliament they sit in. Not Like Mr Farage who got paid for years for being a member of a parliament he despised and wanted to destroy, and then is entitled to a pension for the time he was an MEP !
Old 09-11-21, 08:05 PM   #30
Ruffy

Well, I'm looking forward to the day when I can do a second job earning c.£1000/hr!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59218438
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote