SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-21, 01:15 AM   #1
eskimo619

Default Gen 2 diy timing retard elimimator

Hey everyone, figured id pop in and see if anyone had any advice/suggestions. So I had been wanting to try a timing retard eliminator on my 2008 to see if it would help smooth out some jerky spots in the low rpms. I contacted Steve who had been making them for some years and unfortunatly he isn't making any now and may possibly be done making them entirely. So I followed a guide for a diy tre on sv650.org and it was fairly easy. Ordered 15k ohm resistors on Amazon. They sent a pack of 100 lol. I went step by step and put it on the bike between the pink and black wires while leaving the blue wire in the connector as normal.

Bike fired right up just with a rougher cold start which I read is common. As it reached operating temp it smoothed out. Also when pulling in the clutch the rpms increase slightly which also seems to be normal. Only issue is the fi light came on as well as a code c31. Quick search showed others had this issue and was usually do to poor connections. So I made 2 more and those both did the same thing. Fi light and c31 code. I put the pink and black wires back in the connector and buttoned everything up. Bike is back to normal with no fi light or code. So not sure what I may have done wrong. Ill keep an eye out if anyone is getting rid of a plug and play unit. I saw a few options on ebay but are overseas and by the time it arrives ill just about have the bike put away for winter so maybe ill find one state side. This is what I followed.

http://www.sv650.org/sv_faq.htm#How%...d%20above%20SV
eskimo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-21, 08:54 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen 2 diy timing retard elimimator

the TRE was a hot debate a good few years ago and TBH it was all hype. V twins by nature are a bit lumpy and my advice is just get used to it or buy an IL4.

on tight corners such as turning into streets and mini roundabouts i just drag my rear brake slightly and keep the revs a bit higher.

if your bike is overly lumpy then you might need to set the Throttle Body balance. to do this you will need the special electronic tool or put it into a dealer. for the price of a dealer to do the job you can buy the electronic gizmo then sell it again so it works out cheeper.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-21, 12:42 PM   #3
eskimo619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the TRE was a hot debate a good few years ago and TBH it was all hype. V twins by nature are a bit lumpy and my advice is just get used to it or buy an IL4.

on tight corners such as turning into streets and mini roundabouts i just drag my rear brake slightly and keep the revs a bit higher.

if your bike is overly lumpy then you might need to set the Throttle Body balance. to do this you will need the special electronic tool or put it into a dealer. for the price of a dealer to do the job you can buy the electronic gizmo then sell it again so it works out cheeper.
Whats interesting is from the reading ive done and speaking to other owners results for a tre seem to be on par with adjusting the tps. One owner feels it made a big difference while another claims no difference at all. In my case I adjusted the tps and didn't notice much. But have had several tell me to do the tre and see how my bike responds so figure why not give it a go.

Ive had other vtwins that were smoother including a tl1000r. And I put a tre on that bike and made a very noticeable difference. I just got this bike about 6 weeks ago and have been going through it as it sat for a year. Im sure the throttle bodies need balancing. I also have a fuel pump strainer on the way and ill back flush the high pressure filter as well. I was told by a shop they would bill the job at an hour even though it would take less time for a tb sync. Bike will be put away pretty soon for winter so not sure if ill get around to that or wait till spring. Above 5k it rides beautifully. But cruising at say 3500rpms in 2nd gear it can get jerky but ive learned to manage it with throttle control. Does it in other low rpm spots as well but once at or above 5k its super smooth.
Old 20-10-21, 10:04 AM   #4
gt alex

I don't know about gen2 but if you measure the resistance to ground on the 5th gear sender wire and replace the sender with a resister to ground, disconnect all wires except the neutral for starting, would that let you ride with the same timing in all gears?
I said 5th because 1&2 may have timid timing for emission or just to make the bike less likely to bite the unwary and 6th gear may be more timid for cruising.
Has someone experienced with racing gen2 know if my advise sounds feasible or is rubbish?
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-21, 10:25 PM   #5
eskimo619

So I was able to get it right. After speaking with Steve more he said to leave both the blue and black wires in the connector and to put the resistor inline with just the pink wire. So instead of cutting the pink wire I was able to remove it from both connectors and using some extra wire I soldered the resistor between the extra wire and using quick connectors attached it to both ends of the factory terminals on the pink wire. Bike fired up, no fi light or engine code. Seems to have very slightly helped with some surging down low but nothing amazing.

I still have to pull the fuel pump and replace the strainer and back flush the high pressure filter. If that doesn't help any further with the of the hesitation spots then I'm sure its just the throttle bodies needing a quick sync. Otherwise bike still goes pretty well. Only spent a few dollars so was worth trying the tre mod.