SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-21, 12:36 AM   #11
ethariel

Default Re: Cop26

32 million cars in UK

Assume (it will never happen) that they were all replaced by 100% electric vehicles?

Country wide total blackout as 32 million cars will take about 1.5-3x the total grid supply to charge at just 3.7kW (single phase home charging is 3.7 to 7kW) and a car battery is what, 100kWh so a nominal 24h to charge (usually the battery will not let you touch the last 10% or it faces destruction if really run totally flat) from 'empty' to full. Without taking into consideration any other e-vehicle type (vans, busses, lorries etc).

That's not including all the usual electricity consumption.

We simply don't have close to the capacity available to cope with that full stop, the answer?

Hydrogen fuel cells in cars, meets the general city air quality targets but is nowhere close to carbon neutral (joke words) ever or just stick to burning petrol/diesel.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-21, 10:19 AM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
We simply don't have close to the capacity available to cope with that full stop, the answer?
the answer is simple. stop making guns and fighting wars. if we put that effort and money into third world country's to produce bio fuels, solar, wind and hydro power there would be enough for everyone. its only a tiny fraction of the worlds landmass that is used for "human consumption". the rest sits empty looking pretty.

we know full electric is not going to work so best make bio hybrid better.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-21, 10:45 AM   #13
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
we know full electric is not going to work so best make bio hybrid better.
And where does all the biofuel come from?

Generally in the UK we are a net importer of everything grown, we simply don't have the landmass to 'grow our own' biofuel.

Electrolysis of seawater using offshore wind farms and supplying the Hydrogen back to shore for storage imho is a far better solution (However living near a Hydrogen Storage area would leave me with the screaming heebie-jeebies every time i see a naked flame).

All I can be sure of is it looks like I'll see the death of the loud/noisy motorcycle in my lifetime
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-21, 11:13 AM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
And where does all the biofuel come from?

Generally in the UK we are a net importer of everything grown, we simply don't have the landmass to 'grow our own' biofuel.

Electrolysis of seawater using offshore wind farms and supplying the Hydrogen back to shore for storage imho is a far better solution (However living near a Hydrogen Storage area would leave me with the screaming heebie-jeebies every time i see a naked flame).

All I can be sure of is it looks like I'll see the death of the loud/noisy motorcycle in my lifetime
see my answer above. at the moment we in the UK import pretty much all of our crude oil so it would just be the same but bio fuel.

its about time we stopped making guns and started getting along.

hydrogen does not have to be stored in liquid form it can be stored as a powder which as far as i know is not as volatile as its liquid counterpart.

people moan about E10 when we should be praising it and asking for more ethanol to be added like the E85 in california. if we all do that then crude will last 4 times longer so instead of 50 years we will have 200 years to find a solution.
Old 16-11-21, 01:43 PM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

Hydrogen can stored as a metal hydride but that process is in its infancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio
if we all do that then crude will last 4 times longer so instead of 50 years we will have 200 years to find a solution.
...with 200 more years of burning fossil fuels there won't be a biosphere left for anyone to worry about it.
Old 16-11-21, 03:25 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

lets face it its not as bad as it was during the age of coal and steam.

if we really want to save the planet then how about population control. one child per married couple. and yes they will have to be married to have children and even if they get a divorce they are still not allowed to have more children... less people less burning of fossil fuels... simples. round my area pretty much anyone who turns the age of 17 goes and passes their test so that ends up around 5 cars per household coz they bread like furkin rabbits.

i said find a solution i did not say we have to use fossil fuels for that amount of time. even just taking away gas will cause chaos never mind making all the vehicles on the road electric.
Old 16-11-21, 09:02 PM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

Someone on reddit pointed out this link to an article on large (undeclared) methane leaks

https://www.space.com/satellites-dis...hane-emissions

Methane is a much more "efficient" green house gas than carbon dioxide but has a shorter atmospheric life (it oxidises into CO2 and water eventually).
Old 16-11-21, 09:43 PM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
hydrogen does not have to be stored in liquid form it can be stored as a powder which as far as i know is not as volatile as its liquid counterpart.
Hmm, well as the free element, the answer is no. It is possible to absorb it into some pretty funky solid matrices but we are not talking mass usage.

Biofuels have dubious green credentials (depending on how they are made, it varies) but the sheer quantity needed to compare with oil is insane.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-21, 12:25 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Someone on reddit pointed out this link to an article on large (undeclared) methane leaks

https://www.space.com/satellites-dis...hane-emissions

Methane is a much more "efficient" green house gas than carbon dioxide but has a shorter atmospheric life (it oxidises into CO2 and water eventually).
i have a methane processing facility about 10 miles away and when they are "flaring" you dont need your car lights on going up the bypass. the flare tube is constantly lit so why dont they make electricity on site with the waste methane that would otherwise light the flare... that way the plant would be self sufficient. why all the waste??? best bit is that there is a wind farm right next door, always gives me a giggle when i'm going past.
Old 17-11-21, 12:30 PM   #20
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Hmm, well as the free element, the answer is no. It is possible to absorb it into some pretty funky solid matrices but we are not talking mass usage.

Biofuels have dubious green credentials (depending on how they are made, it varies) but the sheer quantity needed to compare with oil is insane.
we have to think of something as that "insane" amount of crude is running out at an alarming rate. if it dried up tomorrow covid death numbers would be drop in the ocean. who cares about biofuel's green credentials.