SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-10, 02:26 PM   #1
flak monkey

Default Looks like garage time tonight - sticky choke.

Its done it twice now

Start up and its fine, back the choke off so it ticks over at 1500rpm, ride a few yards up the road and the revs stuck at 2500rpm with throttle closed.

Last time I fiddled with the choke plungers and it all returned back to normal, so I guess they are getting sticky, or the splitter is full of crap.

I doubt they have ever been out, so looks like the challenge for tonight is to get it all apart and clean and lube everything. Its a 2001 carbed bike with 18k on the clock.

Anyone know how the choke cable disconnects at the lever end?

Thanks,
David
Old 19-10-10, 02:47 PM   #2
Spoon

Default Re: Looks like garage time tonight - sticky choke

Yup - its easy - undo the two screws in the bottom of the switch gear and pull switch gear into two halves. Once you've done that getting the choke cable out is fairly self explanitory. Getting it back in can sometimes be a bit fiddly but its really not difficult.

Getting the screws off which hold the plungers in place on the carb end is likely to be a little more involved if they have never been off before...
Old 19-10-10, 03:19 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

The back carb screw is easily accessible, the front isn't. It is possible to do it with the carbs in situ, but if they haven't been out I'd simply have the carbs off. With a properly fitting crosshead driver or bit, tap the screws gently with a small hammer (metal not soft face, needs a sharp tap) and apply decent releasing/penetrating oil ("Plus-gas" probably about the best).

If they show signs of wanting to round out, gently tap the head back down with a small hammer then tap the driver bit in again, if you're careful you can "recover" such cheesy screws several times.
Old 19-10-10, 03:20 PM   #4
flak monkey

Thanks for the advice I have good tools - hopefully they will come out with a little pursuasion. If not I'll be posting tales of woe later!
Old 19-10-10, 07:06 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Looks like garage time tonight - sticky choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7uyMs-YtQ
Old 19-10-10, 07:59 PM   #6
flak monkey

Default Re: Looks like garage time tonight - sticky choke.

Done it, took about 2 hours. Had to have the carbs off as the front screw wouldnt come undone.

It was the rear plunger that was sticky though, cable rusty and the plunger very tight. Now much better though

Biggest PITA was getting everything back into the rubbers!