SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-05, 02:39 PM   #1
jamieclayton9

Default sticky choke

hi chaps. i went to start my bike this morning and put the **** to start it. waited my usall 10 to 20 seconds for it to warm up a bit and turned the choke off. but the problem was the choke only half turned off. i had to ride it the ten miles to work with the choke still on. moved the leaver back and forth a bit when i got to work and it went off. i am just worried it is gona happen again. i put some wd40 on it and i hope that sorts it. what else could i do if the problem wont stop. how would i un stick it. please help. many thanks. jamie
Old 21-02-05, 02:41 PM   #2
jamieclayton9

i meant choke not ****. sorry
Old 21-02-05, 02:43 PM   #3
Carsick

it's like to be either sticky plungers on the carbs or a sticky cable.
the plungers clean up quite nicely, I think the back one is the most likely culprit and cables are easy enough to oil.

I think embee will be along at some point, as this is one of his pet topics
Old 21-02-05, 02:51 PM   #4
jamieclayton9

how hard are the carbs to get to. it is a bit of a pain. it has never done it before. were abouts are the plungers situated. my thanks. jamie
Old 21-02-05, 02:53 PM   #5
Carsick

the back one should be quite easy to get at, just lift the airbox.
I don't know about the front one, though. I don't have carbs and I don't know quite where the plungers would be, for the same reason.
Old 21-02-05, 02:54 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
it's like to be either sticky plungers on the carbs or a sticky cable.
the plungers clean up quite nicely, I think the back one is the most likely culprit and cables are easy enough to oil.

I think embee will be along at some point, as this is one of his pet topics

Carsick's clearly converted!

Yep, try the back one first. Find where the cable goes into the carb (remove airbox first, the cable runs into the right side towards the rear of the rear carb), and undo the single crosshead screw which holds the securing plate (apply WD40 or similar first, it'll probably be a bit corroded and sticky, and the screw heads are made of Dairylea).

Carefully ease the plunger out, it should all stay together but be aware that there are springs etc involved You'll probably find the cable end is white and cruddy. Clean it off (old toothbrush or similar, mind the little O-ring), plenty of WD40 and/or oil into the cable, and refit.

If you're lucky that'll do it. If you need to do the front one aswell, you really need to remove the carbs, it is possible without but rather tricky. That one goes to the front left side of the front carb, you can just see it through the fairing hole (SVS).
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 02:55 PM   #7
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee

Carsick's clearly converted!
Heh, maybe not. I had the same trouble on my gsxf last year.
Old 21-02-05, 03:49 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I've always found the front one to be the one that sticks, much harder to get at, just my luck,
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 04:05 PM   #9
Iansv

Yeah my front one was sticking, put up with it for months, recently changed the cable and could see why it wasn't working... so fouled up with crud...

worth changing if your bike is older anyway... cable is just under £30
Old 21-02-05, 04:24 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Check the Y-splitter as well, if it breaks (in my case, because I'm a hamfisted idiot) the cables can get jammed there, causing one pot to stay choked all the time...

Also on mine, the rear plunger's spring had corroded very badly and snapped, bit of a surprise...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote