SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-05, 04:46 PM   #1
TrojanHorse11

Default Bikes and Suits

Is there anyone out there who commutes on their bike who also has to wear a suit to work?

I have water-proof overtrousers but the problem is that if I ride in heavy rain or the roads are quite dirty, the bottoms of my trousers get a bit wet/dirty. This has never been a problem before as I have always worked in a factory and went to work in grubby clothes anyway so it didn't matter. Also my coat is only "shower-proof" and if I am in heavy rain I get a triangle of wet in the middle of my chest area. Obviously this is no good on an expensive suit so I would like to know what bikers do if they have to wear a suit to work but also go to work on a bike.

Thanks for any suggestions as I am totally at a loss.

Cheers

Troj
Old 28-01-05, 04:49 PM   #2
Smiffy

Until the day comes where they make armoured leather work suits, you won't catch me on a bike in one anyway. Is leaving the suit there and changing out of the question?
Old 28-01-05, 04:50 PM   #3
Balky001
Mega Poster

I used to leave the suit jacket in a cupboard at work and just put the trousers and short in a ruck sack - neatly folded. I used to leave shoes in the bottom drawer and so could wear my bike boots when riding. Used to get in 20 minutes early to change.
Old 28-01-05, 04:52 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I leave my jacket at work and wear my belstaff cordura over the trousers, seems to work. though to be honest I doubt I'll be doing that any more, unless I can find cordura trousers with hip armour.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-05, 04:53 PM   #5
Gforceuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy
Until the day comes where they make armoured leather work suits, you won't catch me on a bike in one anyway?
ditto
Old 28-01-05, 04:53 PM   #6
TrojanHorse11

I don't know about leaving it at work - I thought that was the best solution myself, but when you are new somewhere it's a bit awkward isn't it. The other problem is that it's at a place where there's no private/office parking. If you go in a car, you have to pay god-knows-how-much per hour to park in a pay-and-display car park. That would add up to a fortune all week.
Old 28-01-05, 04:58 PM   #7
wyrdness

We have a shower room at work where the bikers & cyclists change. Disabled loos also make good changing rooms. Do you have either of those at work.

I tend to leave jeans at work and change out of leathers when I arrive. No suits here though. That's why I like media companies. I used to work with a guy here who'd just stay in his leathers, complete with knee sliders, all day.
Old 28-01-05, 05:55 PM   #8
Warren

dya work in london ?
i wouldnt worry about the changing bit at work . as its what most people do.
Old 28-01-05, 06:15 PM   #9
TrojanHorse11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
We have a shower room at work where the bikers & cyclists change. Disabled loos also make good changing rooms. Do you have either of those at work.

I tend to leave jeans at work and change out of leathers when I arrive. No suits here though. That's why I like media companies. I used to work with a guy here who'd just stay in his leathers, complete with knee sliders, all day.
It's a small solicitor's office and I'm only there for a week's experience starting on 7th Feb - but of course this will apply if and when I get a job. At my last workplace (factory), there was a guy who came to work on a Honda NTV650 and stayed in his leathers all day!

Bikageboy: I'm in Staffordshire
Old 28-01-05, 09:00 PM   #10
svpilot

I wear trousers, shirt + tie (I don't bother with the jacket - can you leave it at work?). Make sure your smart trousers are tucked inside your boots and your waterproof trousers over the top. If you have a long way to travel, roll up (avoids creases) you shirt and tie rather than wearing it. I travel about 14 miles and wear cordura type jacket and trousers over the top of my smart gear and don't have a problem with creases.

Unless you 'have' to wear a suit, my tip would be to opt for trousers that are cut like jeans, they can still look smart when teamed up shirt and tie, but don't crease so easliy (and generallly you can get away with not ironing 'em )

Good luck with the job!