SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 21-02-10, 01:05 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Question Racing for just one season?

Racers on the .org, I'm interested in your ever helpful advice. There's a chance I may have the whole of 2011 in the UK. I fancy doing some form of circuit racing on bikes at some stage in my life, and this could be a possible year. So I've a few questions:

Time

Is one season too little to get into the racing properly and settling down to it and everything that goes along with it?

From what I've read about other people's experiences the first year seems to be very much finding your feet, with racing itself, how to do your race weekends, maintenance/modding etc..

Series

Series wise what's good to go for? I'd likely be based in the Hampshire/Berkshire area, and looking for a series which has good racing for a newcomer which isn't based on just how big your wallet is. Also I'd like to race something quick/modern ish, no MZ series or Early Stocks. Therefore minitwins is a definite consideration, but what about 600cc club racing? Or even some of the endurance type races done by the TD organisers? Anything else to consider

Finance

How much extra kit would I need to buy over my (tyrewarmers, and generator spring to mind, possibly spare sets of wheels, a one piece suit)? And if doing it just over a year how easy would it be to sell on at the end/what would my losses be like?

As such some class with quite fixed bike development would be an advantage, I'd imagine it would be easy to sell on a mini twin style bike at the end of the season than some class that has more cut throat development?

The above and any other/different advice would be much appreciated, am I being realistic or should I save this for later in life and just do lots of TDs if I'm back next year?
Old 22-02-10, 10:20 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Racing for just one season?

Any of the racers on here?
Old 22-02-10, 11:24 AM   #3
Wester

Tim, I'm a relative newbie to racing, I did around half a year last year and this year will be my first full season.

Time:
People seem to have this big thing around racing that they have to do a full season to enjoy it, or that it is pointless if you don't go to every single round. I will still say I'm still finding my feet and after my first off in november last year and its taken all my confidence, I feel pretty much like I'm starting over from the start of this season this year, I've only ever been round mallory, but I'm still learning and I still dont feel fast enough.
So I guess yes the first season is finding your feet, but its still racing, its still fun, and if you dont start now when will you?

Series:
I'm a short **** and I dont weigh very much. I made the decision early on that I didnt want to start in a novice 600 class as they call them axemurderers for a reason. Its tough, and when you get an awful lot of rookies trying very hard there are quite a few spills and what I considered (I am probably wrong) quite an intimidating class. I first rode on a gp125 on a testday and had my heart set on racing the two smokers, Till i found a zxr400 going cheap, It's a barrel of laughs, its pretty bloody quick and its all I need for racing round mallory park, I still dont have it at its limits so i still have stuff to learn.
From your nurburgring trips my guess is you ride quite a lot, and I know you've done a few trackdays so you may feel 600s is the way to go, From what i hear the steel framed pre-injection 600's are cheap to pick up and would give you a fairly good start point at any club. If you are thinking SV and don't want to spend a lot getting it to the sharp end you could run it in some 400 classes, there are three SV's that run at emra in the open F400 and because of their size, they are very limited by what you can do with them. I will say that at the point where you are starting out that bhp wont make barely any noticeable difference. You dont need to worry about the odd bhp and weight saving till your up at the sharp end.

Finance:
Racing costs. A lot.
I live at home still, And bring in just over £1000 a month. I work a basic job and racing eats all of my cash. I built up my kit over last year 2009 and late 2008 doing trackdays, I bought a trailer cheap of ebay and made it into a box trailer myself for about £200. Tyre warmers cost me about £180. Race entry fee's cost me £135 a time for two races on a sunday. Other clubs cost more. Tyres are about £320 a full set. I dropped my zxr wearing a shoei i bought two months previously. That's £200 to replace. I bought a second bike middle of last season for £1200(absouloubt steal!) that came with another two sets of wheels so I now have a full set of dry/wets/inters. I've got a cheapish RST one peice suit at £300, It's been crashed once and survived alright you will also want a back protector.
You will also need an ACU race licence and will have to do the ctc course. Licence at £55(i think) and the course costs about the same again initially. For your first year you will also need an eye test.
I've probably missed a fair bit here, if you want more info just PM me.
With regards to buying and selling a bike. They hold value quite well. I don't think you would lose much money over a year on an SV or something similar as age doesnt mean all that much, and as long as you look after it you may get lucky and make some money back on it.

At the start of this year I thought about wether I wanted to do it again, I quiite want to move out and start my own life etc but my parents said to me if I didnt do it now, I never ever would. I would say the same to you. If you want to do it, do it. There is no better feeling than flying round in the summer weather on a race bike, When we get back to that nice point of the year, I'm sure I'll be happy I threw all my earnings at it again.
Old 22-02-10, 06:17 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Wester, thanks very much for the detailed reply above, it gives a real flavour of what can be involved and what to consider before setting out. As someone else said to me, this is an itch that I need to scratch!
Old 22-02-10, 07:56 PM   #5
Berlin

Tim,
GEAR:
My race set up cost me less than £3000 for the lot. (Bike, stands, tyre warmers, tyres for the season (scrubs), generator, Wets on Wheels (2 sets) jerry cans and loads of sprockets levers, tools etc. etc. That also includes a van and awning!

Leave out the van and you could do it for less than £2000! And I'm doing it "properly" If I was doing it for the season, for a laugh, I could get the lot down to £1500 all in for gear. If you want to win, it costs a lot more! But to have a go, it costs nowt.

TRAVELLING:
Using a bike trailer (£100), £1500 bike and getting stuck in, you are looking at about £300-500 for a weekend including fuel for bike and van/car, all food and general bits and bobs for you and the pit team Including entry fees but using scrubs. Add £250 if you plan on running fresh tyres.

ENTRY FEES:
Race weekends entry costs are about £200-£250 for two days or £90-£120 for single days

So for 10 race days bank on £1500 plus the above travelling costs.

If you stack the bike, times everything by 5

My budget for the whole year is 5K. Lets see how much over that I go!

C
Old 22-02-10, 08:25 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Thanks for the above, what kind of class are you racing in Carl?

Financially I should be ok in one of the less expensive series, it's getting through the mountains of tyres etc that I really need to look at and how things like this affect the costs of the different series. I have a bike trailer currently, and would proabably buy some form of semi civilized van as my main mode of transport if I went down the racing route (VW T4 looks promising).
Old 23-02-10, 10:23 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
..and and general bits and bobs for you and the pit team
Pit team?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-10, 10:25 AM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Tim - I'll write something tomorrow, but only half really carries over to the UK as racing is a bit different (and cheaper :wink) here in NZ - woohoo!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 23-02-10, 06:07 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Cheers Luke, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 23-02-10, 08:12 PM   #10
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Ok, this is my take on it from someone who has only done a handful of meeting and there pretty wets behind the ears still

Time:- You can do as little or as much as you like with racing - you don't have to enter every round! You can also enter meetings from a different club to that which you belong to, so there is a lot of scope. Also, I wouldn't look on it as "racing for a year and then stopping". Instead think of it as "postponing until you can next race again" . When I started in NZ, my work contract only had 3 months left to run, and if it didn't get renewed, then my bike would've gone wherever I did and I would have kept racing there. (so even if you leave the UK, probably not going to sell everything race related!)

Classes:- FWIW I jumped straight into 600s. Mainly because I owned one, and I figured it was a bike I really enjoy riding. In hindsight, I may in time sell it and shift class. 600's (or F2) is by far the most popular class here and it is damn competitive! 600s are also allowed to cross-enter in superbikes (F1) and the guy who finished 3rd in last years winter series in F1 was riding a 600! That's how quick some of the guys are. The good thing about a popular class is there is usually quite a few people to race against and if you do decide to sell off stuff, you easily find a lot of people willing to buy. The downside is that it is going to take a lot more to get to the pointy end of the field! Mini-twins I think is a pretty good compromise + you already have track experience on an SV, so that is beneficial. Just remember - you're allowed to enter your bike into whatever classes it conforms to the regs. So, despite doing 600 sprint racing, there are a couple of endurance races here in NZ, which I can enter as well if I like. Or street racing if my balls grow enough....

Finance:- Ok, when I first started I bought a whole load of stuff based on what I knew from the UK. When I rocked up to the paddock for my first meeting, I felt like Mr. "all the gear and no idea!" People in NZ don't go anyway near as all out as the UK club racing scene. For instance, people say to change tyres once a round (or 2 rounds) You don't need to do that - not unless you chasing the championship. Especially as a rookie, you'll get more benefit from gaining race experience than having new tyres. I used on set of tyres for my first 3 meetings, and even then I reckon I could've got one more! Things I would recommend:

-Van instead of a trailer. You can sleep in it if needs be. Plus vans are cool to drive Also, bolt a wheel chock into the van. And don't forget a ramp (which I did )

-Wets. I spent a lot track down a spare set of wheel and managed to score some new but 2nd hand tyres. Then the next 3 meetings were sunny! However, last time out it ****ed it down and having wets was a god send!

-Warmers (+stands). In a 8-12 lap sprint, you can't be taking 2-3 laps to get your tyres up to temp. In fact, I still take it a little easier in the first 2-3 laps as it has been ingrained in me from trackdays. Really need to get over this as I'm finding I could be challenging for the lead on laptimes if I wasn't 8 secs back for taking so long getting up to pace!

-1 piece suit and a back protector goes without saying - don't think you can get onto the track without them!

-Lastly - Camping chairs! these are by far one of my most used purchases!

I don't own a genny - all the tracks I'm at have powered garages, so I rent and share one of those. Quite a nice way to meet other racers too. Guess it depends on the track and it's facilities.

There are a load of other bits an pieces which are handy to own - spare parts, jerry cans, tools, footpump, tyre pressure gauge etc. But a lot of this stuff I owned anyway, so I don't count it.

Hope that is of some use

Cheers
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30