SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-05, 09:00 AM   #1
wolverine04uk

Default Letter from police

Got a letter from police yesterday re a guy who knocked me off my bike earlier this year. The good part is that they consider him completely to blame, however they said they are going to put him onto a 2 day driver training course which he's got to pay for.
Now Im not sure what to think of this, on the one hand Im glad that a guy who was driving very badly is going to be sent to get some training which will hopefully improve it and save someone else from falling victim to him.

However.

I can't help feeling like he's gotten away with it a bit, as the police aren't going to issue him with fine/points as the letter states "in our experience fines and penalty points do little to improve drivers ability". At the scene the copper attending said that this guy was gonna be done for dangerous driving. Whats everyones thoughts on this? And could I force the issue with the police to get him points etc?
Old 14-04-05, 09:09 AM   #2
creamerybutter

He was probably given the choice of the course or points, the aim is to improve the nations drivers so they will pay more attention next time not just punish them. I see what your are saying but I think I would rather he get better at driving that just drive around ****ed off because he now has to pay a fine etc.

Having said that it depends what the circumstances were. What happened?
Old 14-04-05, 09:13 AM   #3
Cronos

Quote:
in our experience fines and penalty points do little to improve drivers ability
Hmmmm....... I'd be keeping hold of this letter and challenging them to put you on a driving / riding course instead of stuffing you a fine and points if you're ever unfortunate enough to be caught for anything.

On the face of it, this doesn't seem right at all and I'm sure has a lot more to do with the probability of prosection rather than driver safety. I'd be inclined to reply and ask them, given their view on driver ability, what proportion of offences they offer courses for versus the proportion they dish out ineffective fines and points for?
Old 14-04-05, 09:18 AM   #4
wyrdness

Does anyone have any idea how much the two day course will cost him. It's possible that may cost him more than a fine would.
Old 14-04-05, 09:18 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Personally I think (although I don't know the circumstances in this instance), that if the police agree he is 100% to blame, he should get points and training (at his expense). Should he refuse training/fail it, perhaps more points/a ban would be justified. It's easy for people to drive sensibly when "on display" at training, then revert to being reckless once it's over. Without points (or at least, a greater chance of losing his licence in future) there's little incentive not to go back to his old habits.

As to the theory that points don't prevent lunatic driving, I'd disagree. Someone with 9 points is quite likely to stick to the speed limits if they need the car for work etc. Similarly, someone with 12 (ie banned) is a lot less likely to be a menace on the roads
Old 14-04-05, 09:20 AM   #6
wolverine04uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
He was probably given the choice of the course or points, the aim is to improve the nations drivers so they will pay more attention next time not just punish them. I see what your are saying but I think I would rather he get better at driving that just drive around p*ssed off because he now has to pay a fine etc.

Basically on my way to work with the Mrs on the back, dropping her off at her work first, in a line of traffic behind a truck, minding my own business and this guy decides he wants to overtake everyone, can't, pulls in next to me, honks at me to get out of the way then pulls in behind and hit the back of my bike making me do a massive wheelie and subsequently scattered down the road.
Threads here
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0
Old 14-04-05, 09:26 AM   #7
Anonymous

My ex's mother deservedly had to go on one of these for bashing someone's light in a Tesco's car park and being dimwitted enough to not realise she had done it*

It cost her about £140. In her case it was ideal as she had some sense instilled into her but in your case I think the chap should get some punishement AS WELL AS some training.

*Apparently retired policeman and the like take these old biddies around on the courses. Poor sods....or possibly comeuppance for a career of persecuting others

[Fraser.... ]
Old 14-04-05, 09:40 AM   #8
BillyC
Mega Poster

Sounds like a Politically Correct PR scheme.

If he actually knocked you off, then I would have thought that there was no alternative other than points and fines, any driving awareness course should be additional to this, not an alternative.

However, I think there is merit in the course, and perhaps it should be reserved for those people who drive stupidly, but just managed to "get away with it" by not killing, injuring, hurting or jeopardsing anyone else's safety.
Old 14-04-05, 09:43 AM   #9
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine04uk
Quote:
He was probably given the choice of the course or points, the aim is to improve the nations drivers so they will pay more attention next time not just punish them. I see what your are saying but I think I would rather he get better at driving that just drive around p*ssed off because he now has to pay a fine etc.

Basically on my way to work with the Mrs on the back, dropping her off at her work first, in a line of traffic behind a truck, minding my own business and this guy decides he wants to overtake everyone, can't, pulls in next to me, honks at me to get out of the way then pulls in behind and hit the back of my bike making me do a massive wheelie and subsequently scattered down the road.
Threads here
And he got a course? It sounds to me as if his actions were intentional, and the DWDCA charge should've resulted in a ban!

I think you should write to your Chief Constable about your utter dissatisfaction, illustrating the situation and ask him to ensure that such serious matters are not let off so lightly in future!

Then take it to your MP!
Old 14-04-05, 09:50 AM   #10
wolverine04uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine04uk
Quote:

Threads here
And he got a course? It sounds to me as if his actions were intentional, and the DWDCA charge should've resulted in a ban!

I think you should write to your Chief Constable about your utter dissatisfaction, illustrating the situation and ask him to ensure that such serious matters are not let off so lightly in future!

Then take it to your MP!
I know, thats why I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I know that it wasn't unintentional, but I'm willing to bet he's making out like it was now.