SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-08, 04:12 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default What do you know about Mitsubishi L200?

Was casually looking for a Hi Lux for a while, but they all seem to be wrecks for the money, but have notice Mitsubishi L200's are advertised for peanuts compared, just a few k for a post 2000.
Plan is to use it for carting an off road bike (maybe), going to the tip, shopping, and just treating as a silly toy.
Anyone know about them? , the models to buy, to avoid, tax brackets, cheap to insure variants, which engines run on chip fat, how to spot an import yada yada.
I must say they bling up quite well..
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-08, 04:18 PM   #2
Rai86

Default Re: What do you know about Mitsubishi L200?

Good vehicles, our lifeguards use them. There not as good as the Hilux. I'l get you a technical trials report if you like?
Old 15-12-08, 04:26 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai86 View Post
Good vehicles, our lifeguards use them. There not as good as the Hilux. I'l get you a technical trials report if you like?
Thanks - anything that includes some general data that helps me decide if I can run one as a second vehicle, will do the small jobs I ask of it, and will fit on my drive. (Hi Lux was a bit long, maybe this is too)
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-08, 04:59 PM   #4
jimmy__riddle

depends on what the budget is.

yes, hilux's are more expensive, for a good reason.

AFAIK all diesel ones can be run on veg oil, although thats not really gonna save much money now, as veg oil has increased in price, and diesel decreased.
Old 15-12-08, 06:36 PM   #5
Tallguy

A colleague's looking at these, any chance of a copy of that data? She wants to dip its @rse in the sea to launch her new RIB off its trailer. Cheers
Old 15-12-08, 06:53 PM   #6
tinpants
Ubique

One of my mates had one after chopping in his 110 landy. He reckons its a pile of crap. No guts or go, and really thirsty. Plus the back is really high up so its difficult to get an off roader in. If I was you, I'd buy a VW Transporter van - you get the comfort of the car with the versatility of being able to load the back up with all sorts. I bought one back in July and can well recommend them. I got an ex AA one with the fitted rear seats. They come out in about 30 seconds, although there isn't much need as I can easily get the XR 250 in as well as the boys bike (TY80).
Each to their own I know but they really are fantastic vans. I also get better mpg than I did with the Hi-Lux as well - way over 30mpg compared to sub 20 with the Toyota.
Old 15-12-08, 06:56 PM   #7
Mgaffz

My gaffa had one of these his was the bog standard one when they first came out and iirc it was also an import from spain i think.

Anyway it was as tough as old boots and it withstood a rear end shunt off a bin wagon and 6, yes 6 other crashes!! thats about all the help/ info i can offer appart from stay away from nissan navaras as they throw con rods like no ones buisness!!
Old 15-12-08, 07:04 PM   #8
busasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
One of my mates had one after chopping in his 110 landy. He reckons its a pile of crap. No guts or go, and really thirsty. Plus the back is really high up so its difficult to get an off roader in. If I was you, I'd buy a VW Transporter van - you get the comfort of the car with the versatility of being able to load the back up with all sorts. I bought one back in July and can well recommend them. I got an ex AA one with the fitted rear seats. They come out in about 30 seconds, although there isn't much need as I can easily get the XR 250 in as well as the boys bike (TY80).
Each to their own I know but they really are fantastic vans. I also get better mpg than I did with the Hi-Lux as well - way over 30mpg compared to sub 20 with the Toyota.
Yep juicy as hell and not very reliable either. I could have had a 3 grand saving buying a l200 warrior but after speaking to guys on site who were quite negative I ended up buying a Ford Ranger. I gather the new shape are better but obviously more expensive.
Old 15-12-08, 07:09 PM   #9
kwak zzr

my mate just sold a L200 and got an X5 instead, get the Hilux their unburstable!
Old 15-12-08, 08:22 PM   #10
captainsmelly

there are some mechanical issues with the steering boxes (pitman arms) but almost all will have been replaced under warranty. these are not comfortable vehicles at all, being a commercial vehicle based on a 20 year + design. imo they are bombproof, if serviced regularity. oil change is every 4500 miles, which is just stupid but other running costs are quite low.
i would recommend a 2001 - 2006 model, dont get a warrior or animal because they are a lot more money for alloy wheels and stickers. they are also classed as recreational vehicles so you would pay vat unlike the commercial variants which you can get the tax back - this may only apply to new registrations actually.
you always see these with dents in the tailgate, this is because you cant see the edges when you reverse and you will hit things. as bellerophon already said they are very high up to load, although you can use ramps quite easily.
as far as imports go, naturally dont ever get a jap one unless its dirt cheap, usual story of parts availability (or lack of) euro versions are very much the same as ours. jdm will have a short chassis number xx0x-0000000 and ours will ber 13 digit