SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-14, 04:13 PM   #1
pinpoint_uk

Default Main fuse connector - 99 Curvy

Hi all.

My bike wouldn't start after dying (clocks went a bit mad then died) so though it was reg rec. Basically it wasn't - the main fuse connector had worked loose (covered by a green cover near seat on the brake side).

I have cleaned the connections but the actual connector seems loose. I have cable tied so create a better connection. My question is where do you get this connector from new and how easy is it to fit a new one.........

Also if there is another way of fixing please let me know - my knowledge of bikes is ok but limited, electrics is 100% witchcraft to me!

Cheers, Rich

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 23-06-14, 12:47 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Main fuse connector - 99 Curvy

I believe the main Starter relay comes as a single unit, disassembly/reassembly may be possible to correct any issues, but I don't think you'll find the parts individually.

Note: Starter Relay is part 1 here

Jambo
Old 23-06-14, 02:14 PM   #3
pinpoint_uk

Default Re: Re: Main fuse connector - 99 Curvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I believe the main Starter relay comes as a single unit, disassembly/reassembly may be possible to correct any issues, but I don't think you'll find the parts individually.

Note: Starter Relay is part 1 here

Jambo
Hi Jambo - thats brilliant and exactly the part I was describing - thanks for taking the time to work out what I meant!

Do you know what the connector from this part between the fuses goes to? Where it connects to the starter relay here is the issue. It maybe that the connector is the issue rather than the starter relay assembly.

Cheers

Rich

Old 23-06-14, 02:22 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

The starter relay has 2 large connectors, one to the positive battery terminal, one to the starter motor. The plug at the top takes power from the positive battery connection off to the rest of the loom, and brings a connection back to energise the relay from the starter button & wiring to close the relay and connect the starter motor to the battery positive.

In short those wires carry the positive off to just about everything else on the bike, so a fault here can leave you with very little sign of life from the bike.

Aside from the fault you've seen they're generally reliable so it can be worth seeing if anyone is breaking a bike in the "For Sale" section and has a relay going cheap.

Jambo
Old 23-06-14, 02:24 PM   #5
pinpoint_uk

Cool - thanks Jambo. Will scour the adds from now on for someone local.

That is exactly what happened - no life and only when it did nothing with a booster pack did I realise it probably wasn't the battery!

Assumption is the mother of all....

Rich

Old 23-06-14, 06:17 PM   #6
MartyB

Pinpoint_UK Ive got exactly the same problem on my '00 curvy. Full power to the dash but nothing on ignition. Just bought brand new one on ebay for under £20. Simple as hell change too.

All the best
Old 23-06-14, 06:31 PM   #7
pinpoint_uk

Sounds good! Have you got a link Marty?

Rich