SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-07-22, 04:09 PM   #11
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: At last....

Very pleased for you Gary. Sounds ideal for you.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-22, 06:03 AM   #12
Geodude
Mega Poster

Awesome to read this, long overdue but very well deserved.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-22, 09:15 AM   #13
Ruffy

This sounds great. Congrats!

I don't know the full background but having been 'no fault' evicted myself from long term rental last year (and coupled with other demestic issues) I can definitely relate to the stress of dealing with housing uncertainty.

Last edited by Ruffy; 10-07-22 at 09:16 AM. Reason: white space removal
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-22, 10:03 AM   #14
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
This sounds great. Congrats!

I don't know the full background but having been 'no fault' evicted myself from long term rental last year (and coupled with other demestic issues) I can definitely relate to the stress of dealing with housing uncertainty.
Sounds lime we've had a broadly similar experience Ruffy. Not pleasant at all. Hope you are more settled now.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 09:44 AM   #15
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Glad to hear that a place is now in sight. Great news Gary.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 02:07 PM   #16
shiftin_gear98

Great news Gary. Sounds worth the wait.
Old 11-07-22, 10:52 PM   #17
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Sounds lime we've had a broadly similar experience Ruffy. Not pleasant at all. Hope you are more settled now.
Thanks Gary, appreciate the note. Fortunately we found a place that's decent enough but it was just in the knick of time after a very stressful search and I still can't shake the mental spectre of sometime receiving another notice. It was a shock for sure and I'm mentally scarred - I shudder to think what I'd do if the same happened again, seeing the state of the current market

So, settled? - unfortunately no, not really. I realise I'm fortunate to currently have a decent roof over my head but is it hyperbole to think of myself as 'homeless' knowing I now can't ever settle while renting, with that risk of being evicted for no fault of my own always in the background as a fear? Throw a marriage breakdown and financial challenges into the mix and with (adult) offspring still struggling to get a decent foothold in the world I get close to despair at times tbh. I take responsibility for my prior mismanagement of my life but I find I have formed some quite 'strong' views about 'the system' for housing in the UK etc.

Now I must stop before my soapboxing takes over your good news thread and starts demoralising you. Sorry!
Old 12-07-22, 06:16 AM   #18
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks Gary, appreciate the note. Fortunately we found a place that's decent enough but it was just in the knick of time after a very stressful search and I still can't shake the mental spectre of sometime receiving another notice. It was a shock for sure and I'm mentally scarred - I shudder to think what I'd do if the same happened again, seeing the state of the current market

So, settled? - unfortunately no, not really. I realise I'm fortunate to currently have a decent roof over my head but is it hyperbole to think of myself as 'homeless' knowing I now can't ever settle while renting, with that risk of being evicted for no fault of my own always in the background as a fear? Throw a marriage breakdown and financial challenges into the mix and with (adult) offspring still struggling to get a decent foothold in the world I get close to despair at times tbh. I take responsibility for my prior mismanagement of my life but I find I have formed some quite 'strong' views about 'the system' for housing in the UK etc.

Now I must stop before my soapboxing takes over your good news thread and starts demoralising you. Sorry!
I'd have to say that our experiences are remarkably similar; marriage breakdown, evictions, young adult daughters trying to make their way.
With regard to renting, there is a pretty shocking attitude in Britain on this, where housing is seen less as a need and more as a speculative opportunity. It's why I pushed so hard in my case for council/social housing. It's the only way I feel I will have security of tenure in rented property.

Last edited by garynortheast; 12-07-22 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 08:28 PM   #19
Ruffy

Quote:
With regard to renting, there is a pretty shocking attitude in Britain on this, where housing is seen less as a need and more as a speculative opportunity.
Quite! The way some 'landlords' have presented, I've often wondered if I should suggest they pay me to be the house-sitter/caretaker they obviously want really - my rates would be quite reasonable!
Sad that it's become more about protecting/growing the money rather than providing homes for decent people.

Quote:
It's why I pushed so hard in my case for council/social housing. It's the only way I feel I will have security of tenure in rented property.
And good on ya!
Dealing with mine and my wife's situation we're discovering some crazy stuff being expected, even with council/social system let alone private tenancies.
Old 12-07-22, 09:23 PM   #20
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Dealing with mine and my wife's situation we're discovering some crazy stuff being expected, even with council/social system let alone private tenancies.
Indeed, some of the hoops you have to jump through, and the conditions which have to be met for private tenancies are really quite depressing.

The one that in my case really hacks me off is the almost blanket "no pets" stipulation. Over the last couple of years, my lovely lurcher has seen me through thick and thin, and the possibility of being made to part from her in order to find a home was not a good thought. No such problem with a council bungalow thankfully.