SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-10-07, 01:20 PM   #21
mr.anderson

Default Re: The running thread!

A running thread! Fantastic idea!

I have to admit that I am a fairly useless (but enthusiastic) runner, still trying to get rythm and technique right.

I am more of a cyclist by skill but I love doing triathlons (slowly) which obviously involves running.

I currenly have Nike Pegasus shoes, but find them a bit too steeply angled forward, if you know what I mean. Contemplating visiting Tri and Run as they do a running style analysis and recommend shoes from there.

Anyone else in the South East that does triathlons? I know the season is largely over, but I really want to do five or six next year. Human Race do great events. Dorney Lake (for the Eton Supersprint is amazing)

I'm going to use the winter to build strength in the gym. My legs are cycling strong, but lack running strength. Any suggestions for exercises?
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 01:26 PM   #22
Smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
I'm currently doing about 35-40 miles per week and have only ever used Asics Kayano's. I started running at the end of Dec last year and am on my 3rd pair, so I'm off out tonight to see if I can find a cheaper longer lasting alternative.

Always wear good shoes though - really makes a massive difference.
get yourself some combat high boots, then the running will have its full effect on you + you'l be able to run over rough moor lands without sprainning you ankle
Old 07-10-07, 04:21 PM   #23
Ed

I did 18 miles today, I know it was that cos I hopped on the bike after to measure it. Finished in 2.28.35, so around 8.15/mile. Not too shabby. Next week's 'long' run is 14 miles, then 10, then the race
Old 08-10-07, 08:03 AM   #24
krhall

Ashford 10k yesterday for me - not that nice really too hilly, but managed a PB of 47:51 which is more than 10 mins faster than my last 10k attempt, so once I stopped shaking I was well pleased with. Recovery time was fast too!

I realise this is slow for most people but for me I was at the absolute limit of my ability.
Old 08-10-07, 08:09 AM   #25
Ed

Quote:
I realise this is slow for most people but for me I was at the absolute limit of my ability.
Remember that 'most people' don't get off their **** in the first place

10K = 6.25miles/47.85=7.66 so about 7.40/mile = impressive!

EDIT - why should a-r-s-e be censored?
Old 08-10-07, 08:15 AM   #26
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I did 18 miles today, I know it was that cos I hopped on the bike after to measure it. Finished in 2.28.35, so around 8.15/mile. Not too shabby. Next week's 'long' run is 14 miles, then 10, then the race
However fast or slow you do it (as long as it's a run ) just making the distance is impressive enough, well done. I don't have the desire/motivation to run for so long, much as I'd like to be able to say I'm capable of it. I've always cycled myself but have recently taken running up again. I only do 4ishmiles every other day, though.
Old 08-10-07, 08:19 AM   #27
krhall

Ed - If you don't eat on a long run what do you do to sustain yourself, I have read (somewhere) that the body can only hold enough energy for 18 miles, hence that is wy people say that the wall is at 18 Miles???

I have used carb gels in HM's, but as my Sunday morning mileage increases, by the end of the month I should be doing 19's and am wondering what I should be doing. I have read about people taking slices of malt loaf with them???
Old 08-10-07, 08:35 AM   #28
Ed

Quote:
Ed - If you don't eat on a long run what do you do to sustain yourself, I have read (somewhere) that the body can only hold enough energy for 18 miles, hence that is wy people say that the wall is at 18 Miles???

I have used carb gels in HM's, but as my Sunday morning mileage increases, by the end of the month I should be doing 19's and am wondering what I should be doing. I have read about people taking slices of malt loaf with them???
Yes - basically, and I don't fully understand the science, you run out of fuel. Your body can only store so much - for most people, the body's glycogen stores are depleted by the equivalent of around mile 18 - 20. After that the body has to start burning fat, and most people have a near limitless supply, but it's not an easy transition to make. And then you hit 'the wall'. Personally I've never had that unpleasant experience. I always plan my route so that I pass a shop or two, bring some money and buy a carbo drink. I don't eat on the run, it makes me feel bloated and sick. So something that's easily absorbed is perfect - Gatorade or Powerade would be the obvious choice but they don't sell it at the shop at Montford Bridge so strawberry ribena has to do instead.

You could always buy some 'snack-ass shorts' with a pocket to carry the malt loaf
Old 08-10-07, 09:04 AM   #29
Viney
Mega Poster

I ran a bath yesterday.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 10:30 AM   #30
hovis

95% of my running is done on a tredmill, i used to do 5km 5-6 times a week, my best time was 27mins (stupid short legs)

anywho, not done it for a while, so this thead made me try it again 34 mins

oh, well