SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-07, 07:39 PM   #1
Defender

Default Biker accidents today :(

Three arrested after fatal crash

Three men have been arrested in connection with a road accident in which a motorcyclist was killed.

Ba$tard$

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7038110.stm

RIP biker whoever you are

A MOTORBIKE and a car collided in a rush-hour crash on the M621 today.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...621.3363802.jp

Lets be very careful out there

Old 11-10-07, 10:49 AM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biker accidents today :(

Yeah, I drove past the one on the M621 - I posted it up in the Penine Massive section as it was a maroon coloured curvy SV.

There was another one too on the ringroad, opposite Ford Ringways garage.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 01:07 PM   #3
Pedro68

+1 ... seems that a lot of people (cage drivers) are finding it so much more difficult judging the speed of things behind them ... like ME! Some of them just seemed to want to pull out into my path at will today ... or is it just that they see 2 headlights close together and think "that car's miles away, I'll just pull out" (even when some of them HAD NO F**KING NEED TO). Honestly, must have had at least 2 or 3 this morning who were happily driving down the middle lane (oblivious to the fact that there was no traffic on the nearside lane), who then inexplicably pulled out into the outside lane just because a filter lane was joining the motorway. Now I'm all for erring on the side of caution, but giving yourself THREE LANES for a margin of error is a bit much.

Oh yeah, and d1ckheads in their cages who sit there and think "well you're only doing the same speed as me so I'm justified in sitting in the outside lane" ... I'm ONLY doing the same speed as YOU because I'M STUCK BEHIND YOU, you feckless eejit!

I undertook one, pulled back into the outside lane and they FLASHED their main beam at me?!?!?

Right, sorry for the slight derail and outrage there ... normal service can be resumed now. Just seemed an appropriate thread.

BTW, as it is still dark when I leave for work in the mornings, I've taken to riding the motorways with FULL BEAM ON. Still irritating when the idiots actually flick their rear-view mirror up because you are dazzling them ... but they still bloody-well sit in the outside lane overtaking that big NOTHINGNESS in the middle lane!
Old 11-10-07, 01:13 PM   #4
Captain Nemo

ride safe folks.............
Old 11-10-07, 01:44 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro68 View Post
+1 ... seems that a lot of people (cage drivers) are finding it so much more difficult judging the speed of things behind them ... like ME! Some of them just seemed to want to pull out into my path at will today ... or is it just that they see 2 headlights close together and think "that car's miles away, I'll just pull out" (even when some of them HAD NO F**KING NEED TO). Honestly, must have had at least 2 or 3 this morning who were happily driving down the middle lane (oblivious to the fact that there was no traffic on the nearside lane), who then inexplicably pulled out into the outside lane just because a filter lane was joining the motorway. Now I'm all for erring on the side of caution, but giving yourself THREE LANES for a margin of error is a bit much.

Oh yeah, and d1ckheads in their cages who sit there and think "well you're only doing the same speed as me so I'm justified in sitting in the outside lane" ... I'm ONLY doing the same speed as YOU because I'M STUCK BEHIND YOU, you feckless eejit!

I undertook one, pulled back into the outside lane and they FLASHED their main beam at me?!?!?

Right, sorry for the slight derail and outrage there ... normal service can be resumed now. Just seemed an appropriate thread.

BTW, as it is still dark when I leave for work in the mornings, I've taken to riding the motorways with FULL BEAM ON. Still irritating when the idiots actually flick their rear-view mirror up because you are dazzling them ... but they still bloody-well sit in the outside lane overtaking that big NOTHINGNESS in the middle lane!
+1
Old 11-10-07, 01:52 PM   #6
Samnooshka

Its not just bikers that need to be careful, even driving the car to work, i am amazed i arrive with nothing happening to me... I get pulled out on, i get people trying to hitch a ride in my boot.... todays classic was a guy in a citreon berlingo without brakelights!! that was difficult to judge... and another old bloke in his merc doing 30 in a 40 and then as soon as he reaches a 30 he speeds up to 40!!

Today was especially bad due to the heavy fog, its meant to get foggy again later so those driving home after dark, please, please be carefull!! There were a few people this morning driving without headlights on too...
Old 12-10-07, 11:57 AM   #7
ooger

Although i've done very little riding so far I've almost had the side of a car in the front of the L-plated bike I was out on twice - before I passed my test! This was without fog.

First was a mini-roundabout that I'd just got onto and the driver looked right, then pulled out anyway only to look surprised that my front wheel stopped about 5 inches away from her (theres a radio advert on around Guildford at the moment "take more time to look for bikes" - is it nationwide?).

The second was at a T junction where the car in front indicated left and followed the kerb left, then at the last moment turned right instead (no mirrir/shoulder check of course). I was alongside it (it was a very wide junction)

As for motorways, I know the majority of car-only drivers don't use their mirrors.

The last couple of weeks I swear have improved my car observations.

+1 - be careful.
Old 12-10-07, 12:52 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
The last couple of weeks I swear have improved my car observations..
Bit more real without a rollcage isnt it
Old 12-10-07, 05:26 PM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarman View Post
Three arrested after fatal crash

Three men have been arrested in connection with a road accident in which a motorcyclist was killed.

Ba$tard$

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7038110.stm

RIP biker whoever you are

He was a 51 yr old traffic copper on his way to work. see report here
Old 13-10-07, 05:18 AM   #10
Defender

Thanks for the new link. Very sad

Please let us know if you hear what happened to the guy who is up in court.

Last edited by Defender; 13-10-07 at 05:21 AM.