SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-12-09, 12:30 AM   #1
thulfi

Default 20mph speed limit on all of Islington's residential roads next year!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...s-next-year.do

Geez. If this spreads round all of London, I might as well be riding a bicycle or skateboarding!

"A borough is to become the first in the country to introduce a 20mph speed limit on residential roads. Islington council has agreed to introduce the limit in January to cut accidents, congestion and pollution. More than 150 miles of road will be affected, with motorists able to drive at 30mph on just 15 out of 1,420 streets.

Signs will be put up announcing the limits although the council has decided against introducing speed bumps.The move paves the way for a 20mph limit across London, with Southwark, Hackney, Brent, Kingston upon Thames, Lambeth, Tower Hamlets and Merton boroughs looking at proposals. Roads run by Transport for London such as the A1 and Camden Road or major council-run routes such as Essex Road will remain 30mph.

This year the Government announced plans intended to reduce the number of road accidents, with a 10-year target of lowering traffic deaths by a third. As well as 20mph limits in residential areas, the plans include a tougher driving test and cutting the speed limit at accident black spots on some A-roads from 60mph to 50mph.

In London, 31 of the 33 councils have introduced a total of 400 20mph zones. In Islington half of the roads already have the limits. Councillor Greg Foxsmith, Islington's environment spokesman, said: "We want streets where our kids can walk to school safely, where our cyclists can ride without risk, and where pollution levels are driven down. A blanket 20mph zone is a bold step, but it's what our residents want and deserve. The scheme has had cross-party support and widespread public backing."

Safety campaigners welcomed Islington's decision but called on Mayor Boris Johnson to implement a London-wide scheme. Green Assembly member Jenny Jones said: "This is going to benefit everyone - motorists pedestrians, and cyclists. I suppose the only losers are going to be those wanting to get somewhere fast but then they shouldn't be using the back streets anyway.

"The only thing I would change would be to get Boris to implement the scheme across London. It would be an awful lot cheaper than this piecemeal approach."
The AA warned that a 20mph limit for London would hamper travel. It wants councils to introduce such zones only in sensitive or residential areas. Taxi drivers also criticised the plans. London Taxi Driver's Association spokesman Steve McNamara said: "Islington's pretty much a no-go area for us anyway. With all the speed humps it's like the Himalayas." TfL research found that 20mph zones reduced casualties by 43 per cent and fatal or serious casualties by 53 per cent."

Last edited by thulfi; 02-12-09 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 12:33 AM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: 20mph speed limit on all of Islington's residential roads next year!!

id take a skateboard

its like all the a roads round hear are now 50 so on roads that are actuly 60 when they see a speed camera they all crawl down to 50 pain in the ass, i looks like it can only get worce
Old 02-12-09, 12:34 AM   #3
thulfi

Default Re: 20mph speed limit on all of Islington's residential roads next year!!

ah but 50's alrite. 20's a horrendous speed!
Old 02-12-09, 12:38 AM   #4
barwel1992

at 50 i seem to get tired and cancentration goes, and i do agree 20 is ridiculus but i think 50 on big straight roads is a joke
Old 02-12-09, 12:42 AM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

so everyone gets to drive about in 1st gear all the time then? that'll be good for pollution

Caazza told me to watch out for Camden hi st last week on the way out of Soho, they have made that huge 4 lane road 20mph too.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:45 AM   #6
thulfi

I know! What would a 650cc do 0-20 in? 0 to 30 you can just about force some slight acceleration joy...that's gonna be denied now
Old 02-12-09, 07:37 AM   #7
madnlooney

i think what they need to do is teach people to look when crossing the road rather than slowing the traffic down
Old 02-12-09, 07:56 AM   #8
metalangel

Pah! Pedestrians have the right of way! Even if the traffic lights have just turned green after you've been waiting several minutes, if some selfish tosser decides to start crossing then, you have to let them.

Old 02-12-09, 09:29 AM   #9
davepreston

another reason im glad i live up north
Old 02-12-09, 10:39 AM   #10
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
so everyone gets to drive about in 1st gear all the time then? that'll be good for pollution

Caazza told me to watch out for Camden hi st last week on the way out of Soho, they have made that huge 4 lane road 20mph too.
Oh FFS, really?