SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-05, 07:16 PM   #1
Valman

Default 47T Rear Sprocket on a K4 SV650S

Well I finally got the 47t rear sprocket put on today, after 2 attempts thanks to Essential Rubber , and I have to say I didn't notice much of a difference, even though it was 3 teeth extra on the back, in fact I got off and had to count the teeth several times just to make sure I hadn't been ripped off.

I pushed the bike fairly hard and managed to get the front fairly light by accelerating hard, although I was being careful as I had the Avon Vipers put on as well, but it just didn't seem to be that different and even when I got stuck in a traffic jam I found no difference while filtering as well.

I paid £22.50 for the standard Suzuki front sprocket, thanks Joe, and then £110 for a 47t rear sprocket, a gold DID ZVM2 X Ring chain and fitting, that is a bargain as the chain is supposed to be a superbike chain and cost more than that, so £132.50 in total.

I would have to say that although the gold chain looks good there was very little benefit and I wouldn't recommend spending the money on this mod unless your chain needs changing or you have money burning a whole in your pocket. You could do it for less than I did if you go for an aftermarket front sprocket, note that the Suzuki one has a rubber mount on it to make the ride more comfortable, and a cheaper chain, I do like the look of my superbike chain though.
Old 09-06-05, 07:54 PM   #2
WelshWop

Firstly i must say that i have no experiance with this mod

But surely there must be a substantial difference as your effectively changing the gearing of the bike.

Waiting on other replies....
Old 09-06-05, 08:00 PM   #3
jonboy

I'm amazed you don't think it's that good, three teeth should be quite something. I went from a 45 on my naked to a 46 and it definitely was noticeable and I wouldn't go back.

Old 09-06-05, 08:04 PM   #4
Sudoxe

Intresting you cant notice a difference. Swap bikes on friday and i'll give it a go, theres a knack to lofting the front

Dan
Old 09-06-05, 08:05 PM   #5
BillyC
Mega Poster

Stop being so light-wristed and just give it some! You'll be looking skywards before you can think "WTF!"
Old 09-06-05, 08:09 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

put it this way, you think i go quick off the lights with spidy and i only have a 45 & restricted (u dont think i am though).

You must have way more to go on the throtle as BillyC said, open her up once you have scrubbed in the tyres properly.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 08:28 PM   #7
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
put it this way, you think i go quick off the lights with spidy and i only have a 45 & restricted (u dont think i am though).

You must have way more to go on the throtle as BillyC said, open her up once you have scrubbed in the tyres properly.
This was one of the reasons I had it done, but it just didn't feel that different to me and I was opening the throttle up a fair bit, although I wasn't going crazy as I was still on busy London roads.
Old 09-06-05, 08:29 PM   #8
Sudoxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valman
This was one of the reasons I had it done, but it just didn't feel that different to me and I was opening the throttle up a fair bit, although I wasn't going crazy as I was still on busy London roads.
Is your bik restricted?
Old 09-06-05, 08:36 PM   #9
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valman
Is your bik restricted?
I don't think there's any chance of that as my bike pulls cleanly to 11000rpm, but even if it was it wouldn't matter as I'm changing the gear ratios.
Old 09-06-05, 08:42 PM   #10
Stig

Your just being a tart. I can assure you that 3 extra teeth DOES make a difference.