SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-02-10, 11:47 AM   #1
rob13

Default Trip to New Zealand

Considering New Zealand as a honeymoon destination this November. It is looking prohibitively expensive but I dont want to rule it out just yet (as its been an idea for the last 2 or 3 years). Other option is Mauritius and possibly Madagascar.

Has anyone done New Zealand by camper van? Is it worth doing by camper or should I just hire a car and do hotels? I'd love to do it by bike but there would be just too much stuff to carry. Maybe the possibility of bike hire once we were in one place to explore from a particular location.

Help?
Old 10-02-10, 12:08 PM   #2
wyrdness

Default Re: Trip to New Zealand

I've done it by camper van twice. The first time with my ex, who was up for that sort of thing, and the second time with Mrs Wyrdness who didn't enjoy it too much as she likes her home comforts. If your partner is happy with the idea of living in a camper van for a few weeks, then go for it. Even with a camper van, you would probably want to book into a hotel occasionally, for a bit of luxury. Campsites are generally good over there, though they might be quite busy in November.

I think that doing it by bike would be great fun, as they've got amazing roads over there, but as you say, it would be totally impractical. It might be worth looking into hiring a bike once you're there.

I've only done the South Island, and really love it there. Ideally you'll want about three weeks there.

Don't fly via LA. It's absolute hell. Pick an airline that flies via the far east. They're far more civilised at refuelling stops than the Americans.
Old 10-02-10, 01:14 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Well I have been to NZ a few times, only the North Island.

Can't really comment on the Camper Van thing - with Vixis (the Missus) being a Kiwi we end up crashing with mates/family of hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
Don't fly via LA. It's absolute hell. Pick an airline that flies via the far east. They're far more civilised at refuelling stops than the Americans.
+10000000000000000000000

Osaka is nice as is Singapore. Both have shower facilities - my advice is to head straight to those, have a shower then have a walk round Duty-Free, as Arrivals transferring through go into the International Departures area, unlike LAX, where you are shepherded into a crappy little room with only junk food available and left to rot.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 01:56 PM   #4
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Osaka is nice as is Singapore. Both have shower facilities - my advice is to head straight to those, have a shower then have a walk round Duty-Free, as Arrivals transferring through go into the International Departures area, unlike LAX, where you are shepherded into a crappy little room with only junk food available and left to rot.
When I went to Oz, I flew via Kuala Lumpur. I paid a few dollars to go into a private lounge during the refuelling break. They had a buffet, drinks, internet terminals and, most importantly, showers. Much better than being questioned, fingerprinted and imprisoned for a couple of hours, which is what happens in LA.
Old 10-02-10, 02:02 PM   #5
rob13

Thanks, Wyrdness did you go for the luxury 4 berth or stick to 2 berths? Did you ever wild camp or was it all sites? I'm trying to work out if the campervan gives more "freedom" than just using a car and hotels.
Old 10-02-10, 02:11 PM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

One thing I did notice was that there were a lot of Motels - maybe a small camper for emergencies and motels the rest of the time?

As for hiring bikes - I looked into it and it was expensive

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 02:13 PM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

If it were me I would just get the flight out there and then worry about accomodation whilst you are there....however my girlfriend doesn't share the same sentiment so when she found out, just as we were entering the channel tunnel on the eurostar, that I hadn't book or found a hotel in Paris for us to stay for the weekend she got a bit mad at me and then didn't talk until we got into a Hotel room...Women eh?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 02:15 PM   #8
RichT

I grew up in Auckland and was there visiting the folks (Orewa) in Dec for 3 weeks. Flew through LA and have to say it wasn't as bad as I was expecting... You do have to collect you luggage and re-check it, but you get a little more weight allowance. That said, when I went in June 08 I went through Hong Kong and it was a much nicer lay-over.

We hired a car and did a couple of 2/3 ngt camping trips (Northland, BoI, Corromandel and Rotorua). The sites weren't very busy at all, however be aware that the kids break up for summer right ontop of Xmas. They were well equiped and clean.. If you want details drop me a PM.

NZ is geared up for the camper van style holiday - saw quite a few Wicked Campers about.

Avatar is "Lunch at 90 Mile Beach" on 21/12/09.

Last edited by RichT; 10-02-10 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-02-10, 02:49 PM   #9
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Thanks, Wyrdness did you go for the luxury 4 berth or stick to 2 berths? Did you ever wild camp or was it all sites? I'm trying to work out if the campervan gives more "freedom" than just using a car and hotels.
Again, depends on the Mrs. When I went with my ex, we'd just park the camper van up somewhere for the night. Mrs Wyrdness insisted on proper camp sites with good facilities.

We just had a smallish two person van.
Old 10-02-10, 02:56 PM   #10
Mej
Mega Poster

bro lives in christchurch, and absolutley loves it, been there for about 2 years.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote