SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-06, 09:25 AM   #1
Jebiah

Default Bike project

Im looking for a new bike at the moment i currently have a zx6r im looking for something i can use as a project, to spend lots of money on etc i was looking at an SV because its quite cheap all the parts are quite budget (sorry ) ie brakes, suspension etc so it would give me something to work on. The only thing i think is i could be disappointed with it coming down from the ninja.. any ideas?
Old 04-06-06, 10:39 AM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Hi Jebiah.

Firstly, there's no accounting for taste, and I certainly don't know what yours are. However, that said, I know quite a few people that have turned to v-twins, loved it, then moved to IL4's, but have eventually come back to a v-twin. Jelster probably wouldn't mind if I used him as an example - a man that still extols the virtues of his IL4 bikes (Gixxer, then Fireblade)... but something drew him back to the v-twin of the SV, and he bought another a few months back now.

The SV, as you say, is a budget bike, and the average person on this forum does seem to prefer to make a few changes. In the majority, I think these are mostly cosmetic - new exhaust for a better sound, indicators, tail tidies etc. However, some go on to make the kinds of changes that go some way to remedy the "budget" status of the bike: fork springs, rear suspension, brake pads & lines, exhaust system, air filters, remaps, Power commanders - the list goes on.

What is probably notable is that despite the long list of things that can be done to an SV, people stick with it as a project, rather than instantly move on to a different machine. That said, it's easy to conclude that the SV is a great project bike, and plenty enough fun to keep you interested - as long as you don't get your thrills from simple straight line speed.

I personally feel it's a very practical bike - small, light, cheap, upgradeable, perfect for day-to-day life of whizzing round towns and cities, as well as spins on country roads, and indeed motorway jaunts as well.

The fact that it also dominates the mini-twins racing series, probably says a lot about its capabilities as a machine, but also offers lots of "project" type upgrades. JHS racing are but one company detailing the kinds of things that you could get yourself involved with.

I'm sure others will have plenty to add to this, perhaps especially Rictus, who has re-engineered several SV's
Old 04-06-06, 11:22 AM   #3
instigator

Have you ridden an sv before? If not, I'd test ride one before splashing out. I certainly find my sv a lot more rewarding to ride fast than I did the zx6r. Infact, in all honesty, I was perhaps a little let down when I changed from my sv650s to a zx6r (j1). Sure it had oodles of power but power isn't everything to me. So I moved back to the sv.

It's all about what you like.

If I had the chance/space/money for a project bike, I have to say it would most definetely be a naked sv (curvey).