SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-07, 12:02 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Flat bars?

I'm after a set of flat bars for my bike, not just described as flat and still have a kink in them, but pure flat bars ie a straight bar. Does anyone know where you can get hold of any? Even Renthal superbike flat bars appear to have a kink in them.

I've also seen drag bars at Busters and elsewhere, but nowhere I've found sells purely flat bars.

Hope someone can help.

Jase
Old 19-04-07, 01:54 PM   #2
riktherider

Default Re: Flat bars?

i couldnt find any pure staright bars. a lot of them start to kink back towards you. you could try a custom/old british parts. some of those bars are true flat bars. or if you want to run the risk try some mountian bike bars. wouldnt recommend it though
Old 19-04-07, 02:06 PM   #3
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
i couldnt find any pure staright bars. a lot of them start to kink back towards you. you could try a custom/old british parts. some of those bars are true flat bars. or if you want to run the risk try some mountian bike bars. wouldnt recommend it though
Drag bars are about as close as I can get (same as your description), and are decent price. Not a chance I'm putting mountatin bike bars on my bike though, just isn't worth it.
Old 19-04-07, 04:45 PM   #4
haggis

I have drag bars on mine. They are set pretty much with the kink coming back towards the tank, and a teency bit up. You don't really want a totally straight bar anyway, unless you've got weird wrists.

Try this: Get two pens and grab them like it's your bars, with your arms out in front of you.... It should be a natural riding stance.

Do they point directly at each other? Congrats!, You have weird wrists! And your elbows will be sticking up and out. Joint pain is just a short run away.

Or, do they cross at a point a little further forward of your wrists? Breathe easy, loosely speaking you're 'normal'.

hth
Old 22-04-07, 03:24 PM   #5
Jase22

I must have weird wrists I reckon. Although I've now found somewhere at long last. Thought I'd searched M&P thoroughly, but the catalogue arrived and there they are bang smack in front of my face!!! £20 a piece it seems.

Bit of experimenting to do yet, and the possibility of re-fitting clip-ons I haven't ruled out yet, to get things handling how I like it.