SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-01-22, 09:23 PM   #1
svenrico

Default battery

SV650A new in September 2020 in garage on Optimate 3 charger/battery monitor for last few weeks, now showing battery as weak on Optimate.
Why should this be ? I haven't had this problem before with bikes stood in garage in winter. Battery was good , not that old, nothing on bike to drain battery .Would it make any difference to take battery off the bike ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 10:02 PM   #2
wsmc549

Default Re: battery

Parasitic draw. Something is draining it. Disconnect it for winter storage but you will need to trace the issue with a multimeter come spring time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 10:08 PM   #3
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc549 View Post
Parasitic draw. Something is draining it. Disconnect it for winter storage but you will need to trace the issue with a multimeter come spring time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Thanks, but what would be likely to draw from the battery, there is no alarm ?
Old 08-01-22, 09:19 AM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

The cold will show any weakness in a battery. Is it always on charge? or do you take it on/off charge as and when its needed?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 10:15 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

optimate playing up?

check battery the good old fashioned way with a multimeter. the battery should show a steady state of voltage over a few days.

bikes is only two years old so if the battery is dud then claim a new one on the warranty.

Last edited by Bibio; 08-01-22 at 10:17 AM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 09:59 PM   #6
redtrummy

Cousin had a new bike and the battery failed within the first 18 months. The warranty replacement failed within a year. The third lasted 6 years + and was still going strong when he sold the bike.
I have had batteries that would happily read over 12.7 volts but when a load was applied to it it was incapable of pulling the skin off a rice pudding.
If you want to check if there is a 'vampire' load connect an ammeter in series at one of the battery terminal. 2 amp fsd should suffice . I dont leave a charger on for more than a couple of days at a time, if it fails it could cause the battery to discharge through that. Unlikely but I did have a smart charger fail on me once.

Reckon it will be a naff battery though.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 12:19 AM   #7
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
The cold will show any weakness in a battery. Is it always on charge? or do you take it on/off charge as and when its needed?
It has been on charge on the optimate for a few weeks now with the battery on the bike on an Abba stand in the garage . I gave the battery terminals and inside the optimate lead connection plug a squirt of GT85 spray the other day and it is displaying the green fully charged light now. I will check the battery with a multimeter as well. I put it on charge if I haven't ridden for a few days but I am not riding at all now ,probably not until about March.

Last edited by svenrico; 09-01-22 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 01:15 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont know why people frett about their battery. my bike sits outside all year round without a cover with the battery connected as i cba taking it out. just after winter i will try thumbing the starter first and if thats a no go then i'll charge the battery. i have been through 3 battery's in 11 years. not bad considering.

in the 11 years i have had the RR connector furr up twice. the right hand switchgear fek up and a new clutch switch due to weather related wear and tear. the SV is a pretty hardy beats.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-22, 03:41 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Never took the battery off my 2016 AL7 and still good 5 years later when I replaced it ( never leave a battery on bike or car over 5 years ). OEM was a FB ( Furukawa Battery - made in Japan, ) replacement was a Yuasa YT12A-BS in March 2021. I never leave a charger on all the time, will just top it up a couple of times over winter, to be honest the green OK light comes on on the trickle charger within 10 mins anyway, so no current draining from battery while standing and connected to electrics.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-22, 07:55 PM   #10
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Never took the battery off my 2016 AL7 and still good 5 years later when I replaced it ( never leave a battery on bike or car over 5 years ). OEM was a FB ( Furukawa Battery - made in Japan, ) replacement was a Yuasa YT12A-BS in March 2021. I never leave a charger on all the time, will just top it up a couple of times over winter, to be honest the green OK light comes on on the trickle charger within 10 mins anyway, so no current draining from battery while standing and connected to electrics.
Yes , I have started taking mine off charge for a few days now and then rather than leaving it on charge with the Optimate all the time.
Need to get bike Waxoyled in appropriate places then get out for a ride if weather is dry and not too cold.