SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-12-21, 09:44 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Highway Code changes

From Jan 29th car drivers (and bikers) must yield to cyclists who must yield to pedestrians at junctions.

As a pedestrian, if you're waiting to cross a road at a junction then a car or bicycle must wait for you to cross even if you haven't started to cross. The old rule was that they only had to yield if you were already on the road (not that anyone did).

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/latest-cha...145953418.html

This was (widely) publicised earlier in the year - I never saw it and, reading the article, I am not alone. This should make life fun for city folk.
Old 18-12-21, 12:22 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Highway Code changes

I can foresee a right mess and court action arising from this. Already-militant pedestrians (and mobile phone zombies) will be claiming for fictitious injury and "hurt feelings" if we as road users do not magically guess what they're about to do. This effectively gives pedestrians the belief that they don't have to have any duty of care for others they may impact by acting selfishly or stupidly. I'm not saying the current system is perfect but expecting a line of traffic to miss an entire traffic light phase because one belligerent pedestrian insists on crossing a road without waiting for a sensible gap is not necessary.

I was taught common sense pedestrian manners while still in pre-school half a century ago (anyone else remember Tufty and the Green Cross Giant?) and similar at primary school when the local police seargent did a cycling proficiency course for us. It worked just fine and I still use the lessons I learned back then. Just because people today are too stupid or selfish to care about anyone else and cannot look further than their own shoes/screen does not mean the rules need to change. Putting more Rozzers on the streets to enforce the existing and perfectly adequate rules would be a LOT more sensible than demonising drivers/riders of powered vehicles.

[/RANT]
Old 18-12-21, 01:27 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I can foresee a right mess and court action arising from this.
I see problems too but mainly because many people will be unaware of the change. Similar rules are used in the US and even in parking lots the pedestrian has right of way over a vehicle.
Old 18-12-21, 03:26 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

its all to do with not having to put lights up which = less spending.

pedestrians have right of way pretty much everywhere already as they dont have to abide by the "code". someone i know got his licence taken away for 6 months due to someone walking out at the back of his van (blind spot) and he ran them over in a car park.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-21, 05:12 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

One of the biggest issues will be vehicles turning left off a major road onto a side-road. The new law shifts the onus onto the vehicle to stop and give way to any pedestrians - which means the turning vehicle is a LOT more likely to get shunted from behind by drivers assuming they're going to make the turn.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 07:59 AM   #6
ToryBlaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I can foresee a right mess and court action arising from this. Already-militant pedestrians (and mobile phone zombies) will be claiming for fictitious injury and "hurt feelings" if we as road users do not magically guess what they're about to do. This effectively gives pedestrians the belief that they don't have to have any duty of care for others they may impact by acting selfishly or stupidly. I'm not saying the current system is perfect but expecting a line of traffic to miss an entire traffic light phase because one belligerent pedestrian insists on crossing a road without waiting for a sensible gap is not necessary.

I was taught common sense pedestrian manners while still in pre-school half a century ago (anyone else remember Tufty and the Green Cross Giant?) and similar at primary school when the local police seargent did a cycling proficiency course for us. It worked just fine and I still use the lessons I learned back then. Just because people today are too stupid or selfish to care about anyone else and cannot look further than their own shoes/screen does not mean the rules need to change. Putting more Rozzers on the streets to enforce the existing and perfectly adequate rules would be a LOT more sensible than demonising drivers/riders of powered vehicles.

[/RANT]

I totally agree with you on that, most accidents where a motorist runs over a pedestrian are mostly caused by careless pedestrians unlike the popular believe that it's the motorist at fault.
ToryBlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-22, 07:33 PM   #7
Ruffy

Thankfully, I'd heard about the new rules (due to channels to do with other two-wheel interests) although I didn't recall the implementation date.

I share the strong concern about confusion, that I suspect could lead to more accidents and 'intense situations' due to varied understanding and interpretation, somewhat counter-productive. After an accident is not the best time to figure out the rights and wrongs of any situation.

As far as I can ascertain, it's not universally being received with celebration anywhere. For example, there are many in the cycling community who are equally unhappy about the proposals. There's already enough conflict between types of road user so prioritising entitlement by that sort of categorisation is not going to help with that.

My opinion is pretty much aligned with Sir Trev's 'rant': Wrong answer to the right problem IMHO.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 03:01 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

screen bathers, junkies and ambulance chasers are going to love this new law.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 09:02 PM   #9
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
One of the biggest issues will be vehicles turning left off a major road onto a side-road. The new law shifts the onus onto the vehicle to stop and give way to any pedestrians - which means the turning vehicle is a LOT more likely to get shunted from behind by drivers assuming they're going to make the turn.
Quite agree. It's asking for an accident. As a pedestrian I would always wait for a vehicle turning left off a main road and not expect them to stop for me.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 09:22 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

It's been in the Highway Code for years that you give way if you turn into a road that someone is already crossing on foot. In practice, no one has paid any attention to it. The more dangerous presence always gets priority on our selfish roads. Same as when HGVs decide they want priority coming onto a roundabout in front of me on the (motor)bike. Happened loads of times and you put the brakes on even though you know you have priority as you know you'd lose, or at least be arguing about it from a hospital bed.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote