SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-08, 12:18 PM   #1
krhall

Default New sprockets, chain and oiler - what a difference!

Finally got round to putting the new chain, sprockets and scott oiler on the bike and the difference in drive is massive!!!!

I didn't think the chain and sprockets would make that much difference, the bike is super smooth now and as I went for the gold X ring chain looks a bit bling too........

Really happy especially as that nice blue scott oil is running down and auto lubing the chain too!
Old 17-07-08, 07:52 PM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: New sprockets, chain and oiler - what a difference!

Indeed. I changed mine yesterday too and man my old one was knackered!!!!

MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.
Old 17-07-08, 09:17 PM   #3
Troy

I rode my last chain probably 5k more miles than I should have... It was so slack in some parts of the chain it was worried it would jump the sprocket, and so tight in other places I was worried about my crankshaft and wheel bearings!

I still need to get myself an oiler though...
Old 17-07-08, 10:30 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Yea Troy man that sounds a bit bad. I think i should have changed mine a few miles ago as well but over a week it went from ok to OMFG its going to blow!
Old 17-07-08, 10:38 PM   #5
SV-net

Does anybody use a special chain tool for fixing it or is there a trick I need to know about?
Mine need doing now and I was told the dealer had a special tool!
Old 17-07-08, 11:15 PM   #6
Troy

I think different chains require different tools. Some come with a snap-in link you could probably do at home with the tools you've got.

I just took mine to the local dealer and had their service department slap it on for a few bucks. :-\
Old 18-07-08, 12:18 AM   #7
Lafgr8

I just got new chain and sprockets on my sv as well, I love the way the bike rides now! My old chain was stretched to the maximum! I'm wondering how many miles I can realistically expect to get out of this chain?
Old 18-07-08, 12:25 AM   #8
ThEGr33k

I used an angle grinder to grind the old chain off... ground the side of the links.

Then I put the new chain on used an hammer to punch the new link together and to bend over the rivets. Though I think im going to get a proper chain rivet tool to do it right...
Old 18-07-08, 07:13 AM   #9
krhall

Same here, cut chain with grinder then put the new chain on with a borrowed bit of kit from a mate. How smooth is it now though.

I have a feeling I might have had the original chain and sprockets on too, not bad at 17k.......Now it's just a matter of getting the oiler setup properly.

Cool blue lube tube running down the swingarm!
Old 18-07-08, 07:46 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Nowt like a new chain and sprockets to make a bike feel new again, my dad used to say similar things when he fitted new chain and sprockets to his bikes...he hasn't had to for a while though, keeps changing his bikes before the sprockets and chain are shot!

Keeping a chain cleaned and lubricated also preserves that smoothness and the life of the chain. I know when my chain needs a clean, I start getting false neutrals / keep engaging neutral instead of second gear

Matt