SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Suits Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 20-08-07, 08:51 PM   #1
chakraist

Default Lewis gear

Anyone know anything about these? There's a jacket I quite like (retro series, not too retro that I'd look a **** though) for about £130, shoulder and elbow protection, room for a back protector.

Anyone ever owned anything made by them before? their website is www.lewisgear.com, quite a nice site.
Old 20-08-07, 09:38 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Lewis gear

yup i got waterproof textiles............ i like them,
Old 20-08-07, 10:41 PM   #3
jim@55

iv got the same jacket(i think) ,£130,kinda retro style ,,2 stripes down the arms ,looks kinda cool BUT its a bit err,stiff(fnarr fnarr) very short in the body ,and the sleeves are cut for on the bike fit i.e a bit long for everyday use,havent 'tested'it but i bought it for general use ,if im using the bike properly (not just down to the shops and back)i wear my richa stuff -its a btr fit and it zips together(the jacket and trousers that is),the lewis jacket has a zip for connecting trousers but its a 6' one ,nice looking jacket,, but as a bike jacket,hmmm
Old 21-08-07, 01:12 PM   #4
Pedro68

Yup - got a set of 2-piece waterproofs by Lewis - very good so far! Trousers even have braces sewn in! Ridden through some pretty severe downpours in these and kept me dryzabone (wish the same could be said for my "supposedly waterproof" Oxtar boots!)

Pete
Old 14-09-07, 08:28 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Not really of any use, but I had some Lewis Leathers jacket and trousers from the late '70s or early '80s. Monza jacket and trousers in navy with quilted padding on shoulders/elbows/knees, and red quilted lining to the jacket.

Lewis had an advert in some bike mags a couple of years ago asking for older Lewis and Aviakit clothing/brochures etc so they could develop a rejuvenated line of classic style stuff. Sold mine back to Lewis, complete with label-tags and even a Lewis plastic bag, for not much less than I paid for them (albeit 25yrs earlier).

Oh yes, in their day Lewis was "the" name to wear.
Old 14-09-07, 09:00 PM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I remember people sewing fake oval lewis leather labels onto cheaper jackets.

Think I still have a late 70's jacket somewhere, red lining, skinny fitting.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-07, 08:37 AM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

My Textile trousers are Lewis, only because they were the only ones short enough to fit a short **** like me!!

Quite happy with them though.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 01:31 AM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:

Lewis is now Frank Thomas in disguise - all part of the same group with Bikezone, Motrax, Lintek and a few others well known names. They have all their clothing made by the same people in the same factories in the far east.

There's a joke in the bike trade that goes

Q. What are the only two man-made things on earth visible from the moon with the human eye?

A. The Great Wall of China and the Frank Thomas reject and returns marquees at the BMF show.
Old 06-01-08, 01:55 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Not really of any use, but I had some Lewis Leathers jacket and trousers from the late '70s or early '80s. Monza jacket and trousers in navy with quilted padding on shoulders/elbows/knees, and red quilted lining to the jacket.

Lewis had an advert in some bike mags a couple of years ago asking for older Lewis and Aviakit clothing/brochures etc so they could develop a rejuvenated line of classic style stuff. Sold mine back to Lewis, complete with label-tags and even a Lewis plastic bag, for not much less than I paid for them (albeit 25yrs earlier).

wish I'd known that got a one peice and jacket from about 78, good solid stuff although about 3 x heavier then todays stuff, and yeah the "armour" was a couple of extra layers of leather

Cheers ,Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 09:50 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

I`ve got a Lewis Ladies textile jacket and love it... was wearing it when I had my accident and the only damage to the jacket was a slight scuff on the back (mind you I did fly so that might not count).

Is warm and waterproof and I`m more than happy with it, would buy Lewis again