SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-22, 02:36 PM   #11
Blackie

Default Re: sv650s K5 won't idle when petrol isn't a full tank (running rich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
ageing battery, spark plugs, Rectifier/Regulator i would say are the three main contenders to look at first. i had pretty much the same symptoms last year and it turned out to be a duff battery even though the battery took a charge.

less common is the ignition and the Rectifier/Regulator connectors and the mantels in the injectors.

you can check and roughly adjust the TPS without the engine running.

You've got me thinking about the battery! There's the odd time I start the bike that it turns a little on the slow side when starting. It always does start but it could be doing it with more oomph. I always put this down to me stalling it sometimes so the battery going down faster than normal due to the extra start ups.
I've ordered a new Yuasa and it'll be here in a 2 or 3 days.
Fingers crossed this is the problem and I don't have to start taking the bike apart!
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-22, 02:49 PM   #12
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I only get an F1 warning for 1 reason, when my bike ignition turns on and it's in gear and on the stand. This started after we removed the alarm, but it's no biggie.
There is no other warning. Are SV's quite intuitive for errors on electrics? I read I can run a diagnostic check on it but didn't know if this was something worth taking further or not.
(I'm not used to vehicles that tell you what's wrong )

I did assume it was an air problem. The bike has only done 16k and has been garaged nearly all its life.
The FI light comes on if some component is found to be giving a signal outside of the correct range. Then you have to put the bike into dealer mode to read the code thats shows indicating where the problem is. Engine temperature sensor is called ECT and an error reading would show as code C15 however I suppose its possible its output could be within the correct range but just wrong so no code. The only way to test this is check its resistance at 20ºc is 2.45 kohms. The free to download Suzuki workshop manual describes how to do this but you have to know what your doing or you could kill the brain
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-22, 04:16 PM   #13
glang

oh my K6 does the same with the FI light. It always illuminates with ignition on to check bulb and if in gear 'CHEC' comes up as well...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 07:11 PM   #14
Blackie

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Sorry for the slow reply, but I got really busy there with work.

The problem appears to have been fixed and I owe a huge thanks to Bibio!
This has been a problem I've just lived with for a couple years now and all along it was a duff battery.
I'm actually shocked this has fixed it as I never expected a battery to cause problems as the petrol went down in the tank. This was the easiest fix ever and i could have sorted it ages ago LOL, oh well.

Thank you everyone for the help, you have one happy rider here that owes gratitude to the forum. I can finally enjoy the bike again!
Old 08-05-22, 09:01 PM   #15
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That's good news, and well done Bibs for getting to the root of the problem.

Enjoy the riding!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-22, 03:47 PM   #16
redtrummy

I am surprised by this. After 20 yrs plus owning a SV, in all that time duff battery = no start. Live and learn I guess!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-22, 12:01 PM   #17
Blackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
I am surprised by this. After 20 yrs plus owning a SV, in all that time duff battery = no start. Live and learn I guess!
Surprised the heck out of me too!
I would never expect a dodgy battery to create this kind of problem. I normally change it every 2 or 3 years too, but it's been around 6 since this one was put in. My dad has been repairing bikes for 60 years (used to have a bike shop in dundee) and it surprised him too.

Every Day's a school day!