SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-22, 11:31 AM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Waterless coolant.

i haven't changed my antifreeze in ten years. my bike sits outside in all weather without a cover every year and to date i have never had a problem with frozen coolant.

and remember.. dont drink water as fish sh!!t in it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-22, 01:47 PM   #12
glang

I thought it was its anti corrosion properties it loses rather than freeze point....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 10:31 AM   #13
embee
Mega Poster

When working for a major vehicle manufacturer about 25yrs ago I dd some work with a supplier wanting to sell us propylene glycol coolant with all the claims you hear now. We did various tests.
Bottom line is that "conventional" ethylene glycol based coolants do the job and are still used by all (as far as I know) main vehicle manufacturers.
Coolant does a number of jobs. It carries heat away from the hot bits, it needs to avoid freezing, and it needs to provide corrosion inhibitors.
FWIW my recommendation is to use an ethylene glycol based coolant from a well known manufacturer, either a vehicle branded product or a reputable supplier of such products. One of the significant aspects is whether it is silicate free if the vehicle manufacturer stipulates this. There are other additives which may or may not be acceptable or desirable (borates etc).
Having looked into generally suitable coolants for my fleet of engines, I use Comma G30 in most things (not all), it is based on BASF Glysantin30 and is silicate free (BASF are one of the biggest manufacturers of this type of product). You can check the data sheets on most supplier websites. Some vehicles have quite specific requirements for various reasons, many are happy with generic type coolants.
Changing coolant in a bike every 5yrs or so isn't a big deal IMO.
(I have no connection with Comma nor BASF nor any other commercial producer).
Old 22-03-22, 12:02 AM   #14
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I thought it was its anti corrosion properties it loses rather than freeze point....
Yes, and isn't the point the waterless coolant doesn't cause corrosion. (but I am not an expert)
ps I had trouble telling what the bloke in the video was saying so I gave up.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-22, 08:22 PM   #15
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

One advantage of propylene glycol is it's non-toxic, so quite unlike ethylene glycol, but it's more expensive and you need more of it to achieve the same freezing point depression - that said, 50/50 as is the norm these days with ethylene glycol has a freezing point of -37C so it's massively overkill in that respect. Embee am I right in saying that one advantage of water is you can get boiling at very hot spots which relieves the heat, even though it does temporarily take up more room in the cooling system?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 11:52 PM   #16
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
.... Embee am I right in saying that one advantage of water is you can get boiling at very hot spots which relieves the heat, even though it does temporarily take up more room in the cooling system?
Yes. What is referred to as "nucleate" (i.e. at a point) or "film" (on a surface) boiling is a very useful way of removing a lot of heat (latent heat of vapourisation) from a local hot spot, an exhaust port for example. The key is to have sufficient flow speed for the vapour to be rapidly carried away from the hot spot so fresh liquid can repeat the process, which is partly why you see holes placed strategically in the head gasket or castings just at the exhaust port or spark plug boss etc.
Boiling will absorb a lot of heat without increasing the temperature, and as long as the vapour gets whisked away and can condense again very rapidly in the slightly cooler liquid the volume increase is minimal.
A coolant system is typically designed to be able to de-gass a certain amount if there is any gas leakage across the head gasket (from combustion), there will be either a gas volume above the liquid header in a hot-bottle design or a collector feature at the radiator cap in a cold bottle system. Local boiling should be re-condensed within the flow so shouldn't usually reach the de-gass feature. A cold bottle system will usually recover any vapour which does get that far, a hot bottle system will lose coolant if it vents so it is avoided.