SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-05, 01:54 PM   #1
Rob

Default Fuel tank cap trim (Carbon)

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck fitting one of these: http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/partdetail.asp?id=266&m=24

It's rated for K3/K4 models only but I need one for a K2. Have they actually changed the fuel cap between those years!?

Also, I dont fancy carrying two sets of keys. Looking at the inside of the current fuel cap, it almost seems that you can remove the original lock from the middle in the event of replacing the cap. Can anyone confirm if this is really the case, or am I just being far to optimistic?

Cheers,

--
Rob
Old 20-04-05, 02:04 PM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Hello and welcome. I get the impression you're thinking you have to replace the fuel cap? Sorry if I've just insulted you!

Dispite the horrific price, all that is just a bit of padding with sticky back to glue it onto the existing cap. It isnt a replacement. I assume that it will fit any SV, but don't quote me on that.
Old 20-04-05, 02:26 PM   #3
Iansv

Got a carbon look cover for my K1 from Hein Gerike *sp* for a tenner
Old 20-04-05, 02:40 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Dispite the horrific price, all that is just a bit of padding with sticky back to glue it onto the existing cap. It isnt a replacement. I assume that it will fit any SV, but don't quote me on that.
Yep, 'save weight' by gluing carbon onto existing bodywork.
In spite of this, I admit, I've been tempted too!
Old 20-04-05, 02:45 PM   #5
Iansv

I was dubious too, but quite like it, only got it as the normal lid was badly scratched up and I wanted something to cover it, I think busters sell them too
Old 20-04-05, 04:09 PM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
I was dubious too, but quite like it, only got it as the normal lid was badly scratched up and I wanted something to cover it, I think busters sell them too
I'm looking at the yoke covers for the same reason. I refuse to take my immobiliser fob off though, so I imagine that'd be scratched to bits within a month too
Old 20-04-05, 04:13 PM   #7
Iansv

yeah i got one for the yoke too... previous owner had scratched it up nicely...

some do look tacky but there are some nice ones
Old 20-04-05, 04:53 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

There are slight diffrences between the centre bits of the fuel caps. Just a variation on a shape basicaly from what i have noted.

I really dont see the point to these myself.... but then most peeps dont see the point of my blue foot pegs either so each to their own i guess.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 05:41 PM   #9
K

Oxford do these too - much better than carbon 'look' they are real carbon with a very thick high gloss laquer.

I've got both the yoke and fuel cap trim as they go nicely with my carbon hugger and I'm a tart!
Old 20-04-05, 08:30 PM   #10
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Hello and welcome. I get the impression you're thinking you have to replace the fuel cap? Sorry if I've just insulted you!
Er, year, don't worry I was actually being that stupid! I got the impression from the photos that this was actually a replacement part. If it is a 'stick-on' part then I agree, the price is quite horrific (I should be used to that coming from Honda - 19 @#~!ing pound for a speedo cable!!)

Some one mentioned the oxford part as an alternative. I found http://www.oxprod.com/ but couldn't get any further. Any other links for that one?

--
Rob