SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-06, 12:54 PM   #1
mickdoddy

Default worst case scenario

hi all fairly new to the forum but would apreciate a little info
my bike has been stood for a while due to my ill health and yesterday i started it up after giving the bat a good old charge it cranked up first time and ran a while but poppy n farty then a red light came on and the f1 on the display now it says in my service book its the fuel injection system and needds taking to the suzi center
now seen as i ve been off work for some time i have very little money and was just wondering if anyone knew if the injection system has broke how much is it likly to set me back or does anyone have any other reason it should do this after being stood for a while
i know its best to get it checked out first but im well skint
cheers anyway for any replys i may get
( its a 53reg sv650s )
Old 04-01-06, 01:03 PM   #2
mysteryjimbo

How long has it been stood?

Petrol degrades a bit with age as does oil. If i were you i'd give it a service, change the petrol and give it another go. run some redex through the system too to clean it a bit.

If it still happens, then i'd go to a dealer.
Old 04-01-06, 01:08 PM   #3
Samurai

I slid my bike down the road on christmas eve and obviously the engine cut out.

when i went to start it again i had the same as you red light and f1, this is the injection, i don't know if this helps but i turned everything off waited a min and then tried starting it again and everything was fine.

Hopr this helps
Old 04-01-06, 02:10 PM   #4
JediGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighRS
I slid my bike down the road on christmas eve and obviously the engine cut out.

when i went to start it again i had the same as you red light and f1, this is the injection, i don't know if this helps but i turned everything off waited a min and then tried starting it again and everything was fine.

Hopr this helps
Same happened to me (but not on Xmas Eve). Lit up like a Christmas tree at first, turned it off, waited a bit, and it started.

Maybe there is a god....and he rides a suzuki.

Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 02:11 PM   #5
mattSV
Mega Poster

Mysteryjimbo wrote

Quote:
How long has it been stood?

Petrol degrades a bit with age as does oil. If i were you i'd give it a service, change the petrol and give it another go. run some redex through the system too to clean it a bit.

If it still happens, then i'd go to a dealer
Yeah - what he said.

My old petrol lawnmower used to get chucked in the shed at the end of the year with whatever fuel was left in it still in the tank. It would then never start for the first cut of the season unless I changed the fuel - then it would start first pull.

Good luck mate.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 02:55 PM   #6
mickdoddy

cheers for the quick replys much appreachiated been stood since about september i ll give the sugestions a go and i ll get back to you all let you know how i went on
Old 04-01-06, 04:15 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Do a search on how to put the FI unit into diagnostic mode, it will then show you the error code of what problem there is.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 05:19 PM   #8
Patch

Most fault recording systems will log the power drain as a fault into the system. If you can get a copy of the service handbook it will advise what code means what, how to read them. if thats all it is re-set it and save yourself 50 quid
Old 05-01-06, 09:58 AM   #9
mickdoddy

well i ve just started it up this morning no warnings on it now but runs like a bag of **** and the engine stops when not giving a bit of throttle so im going to change the petrol now see if its that
get bk to you all soon
and cheers again to everyone who has replied