SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-08-21, 04:49 PM   #9941
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I need glasses for distance, though as I get older my near vision limit is gradually getting further away. I used to be able to see very close up but not any more.

It is essential to talk through your requirements in detail with them when ordering, you need to understand a lot more than might first appear.

I went for a 2-for-1 setup with Speccysavers, and they did me some true varifocals covering the whole range (fine), but I also got some bifocals with distance and mid-range (rather than reading) which I described to them for riding the bike. The low bit is for arms length, where the bike clocks and satnav are.

I actually measured the distance when seated on the bike and gave them this when discussing it. For the bike they are absolutely perfect. Note that you also have to be very careful selecting the transition level. I actually marked the line on my old specs (on masking tape) where I wanted the transition, which corresponds to the top of the instruments. Everything above that is effectively single vision distance (i.e. all the road).

When using the bifocals I just look over the top for close up reading etc, which I can do quite happily without specs. The varifocals must start the progression from distance low enough down so that you don't end up having to tilt your head all the time.
My first vari's progression point were a touch too high and I couldn't see clearly where I was treading without tilting my head down, but I learnt and made sure the next pair were as I wanted. It does mean the vari part can end up quite narrow so a relatively tall lens works best I find.

When they sort out the transition point, you need to be standing and looking straight ahead, and decide at what distance on the floor you need to start departing from "infinity" (it's probably a lot closer than you think, typically only 2 or 3m at most).
Old 19-08-21, 05:42 PM   #9942
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I need glasses for distance, though as I get older my near vision limit is gradually getting further away. I used to be able to see very close up but not any more.

It is essential to talk through your requirements in detail with them when ordering, you need to understand a lot more than might first appear.

I went for a 2-for-1 setup with Speccysavers, and they did me some true varifocals covering the whole range (fine), but I also got some bifocals with distance and mid-range (rather than reading) which I described to them for riding the bike. The low bit is for arms length, where the bike clocks and satnav are.

I actually measured the distance when seated on the bike and gave them this when discussing it. For the bike they are absolutely perfect. Note that you also have to be very careful selecting the transition level. I actually marked the line on my old specs (on masking tape) where I wanted the transition, which corresponds to the top of the instruments. Everything above that is effectively single vision distance (i.e. all the road).

When using the bifocals I just look over the top for close up reading etc, which I can do quite happily without specs. The varifocals must start the progression from distance low enough down so that you don't end up having to tilt your head all the time.

My first vari's progression point were a touch too high and I couldn't see clearly where I was treading without tilting my head down, but I learnt and made sure the next pair were as I wanted. It does mean the vari part can end up quite narrow so a relatively tall lens works best I find.

When they sort out the transition point, you need to be standing and looking straight ahead, and decide at what distance on the floor you need to start departing from "infinity" (it's probably a lot closer than you think, typically only 2 or 3m at most).
I think I'll have to be more precise with my requirements in future.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-21, 08:36 PM   #9943
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
central heating installers..

i got my house central heating done about 4 years ago. over the last week i have been ripping out the back bedroom and bathroom and as such i had to remove and instate the rads. to my surprise the installers have for some reason put one radiator flow and return on the return feed and the other radiator flow and return on the flow feed.

i'm now paranoid about the whole system. the word cowboys comes to mind.
This might be a waste of time as I'm not too clever...but could you test by turning off that dodgy rad? If others are chained off only one flow (return) pipe further down the line they'd stay cold I think. Once you've done that test you could put the cowboy radiator back on and try turn off others closer to the boiler (if you know roughly which way it goes) and see if they prevent your yeehaw rad turning on (or others).

I bet they just got to the end of the day and saw a shortcut so it'll only be that one
Old 19-08-21, 09:55 PM   #9944
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Any chance of getting back to the cowboys for an explanation/refund ?!
hahahahaaaaa. nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
This might be a waste of time as I'm not too clever...but could you test by turning off that dodgy rad? If others are chained off only one flow (return) pipe further down the line they'd stay cold I think. Once you've done that test you could put the cowboy radiator back on and try turn off others closer to the boiler (if you know roughly which way it goes) and see if they prevent your yeehaw rad turning on (or others).

I bet they just got to the end of the day and saw a shortcut so it'll only be that one
no shortcut just plain cowboys.

there is a flow and two returns on system. they had the bathroom on the flow only and the bedroom on the return only.. furkin muppets.

would not be so bad if they had taken a branch off the main feeds for both ends of the rad but the cowboys used a single feed then a T which fed both ends of the rad from the T.

what gets my goat is that these cowboys are Gov approved contractors....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 10:34 PM   #9945
svenrico

Quote:
hahahahaaaaa. nope.
why not?
if they are government approved isn't there some organisation you can complain to ?

I thought heating engineers had to be suitably qualified and work to some code or whatever.

Last edited by svenrico; 19-08-21 at 10:41 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 07:22 AM   #9946
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
hahahahaaaaa. nope.

no shortcut just plain cowboys.

there is a flow and two returns on system. they had the bathroom on the flow only and the bedroom on the return only.. furkin muppets.

would not be so bad if they had taken a branch off the main feeds for both ends of the rad but the cowboys used a single feed then a T which fed both ends of the rad from the T.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it was a good shortcut - just a cut corner they saw the opportunity for and tooks it
Old 20-08-21, 02:50 PM   #9947
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
if they are government approved isn't there some organisation you can complain to ?

I thought heating engineers had to be suitably qualified and work to some code or whatever.

My mate works at local college as a lecturer in all things gas and plumbing, when he sees students doing shoddy work he would fail them, head of department lets it go.... mate says they give gas safe and plumbing certificates away with cornflakes these days, and he would not want at least 50% of the students who 'pass' working on his house.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 03:20 PM   #9948
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Government, standards, quality, skill?
Really? ...... I mean, really?
Old 20-08-21, 05:11 PM   #9949
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Varifocal glasses. Boots got me to try some for the glasses I've just got. Waited half a year for an appointment and then weeks to get the glasses. Not getting on with them at all. Not cheap. Useless.

Varifocals for me anyway work great, except for long VDU sessions, tend to use dedicated glasses for that these days.

Though the price is stupid to be honest 700 - 800 quid every couple of years hurts!
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 09:50 PM   #9950
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Government, standards, quality, skill?
Really? ...... I mean, really?
Yes, really. I don't know what it is now but didn't anybody working on gas central heating have to be Corgi registered at one time ? Presumably that would cover certain standards of work required on site and if work was sub standard ------ ?!

Last edited by svenrico; 20-08-21 at 09:53 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote