SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Which company should i go work for....
Global procurement Group Ltd (www.gpgengland.com) 2 50.00%
Infotone Ltd (www.infotone.co.uk) 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-05, 04:26 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default WORK is now a DILLEMA!!!! Help needed!

Ok,

as you probably know, i was taken offered a job at a local company, i told my current employer and they bought me out of the agency contract, matched the local companies offer, threw in health care, shares, and final salary pension...

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=25706

I told the local company that i couldnt make it as my present employer had upped my salary in a bid to keep me... without me saying anything, he said...

"ok, basic is now £18k, well match the benefits of GPG too."

I said id get back to him before close of play today with an answer.. hes just called me back to say this...

"hi joe, jamie here, hows it going? ... Alex (sales manager) and i really want you, we've upped the basic to £22K maintain previous offer of commission structure and all the benefits... "

i said id let him know before close of play today again, to which he replied...

"is there anything else we can do to swing it in our favour...? Any financial incentives? Tell you what, ill speak to alex and see if we can go higher on anything, or any more benefits.. and call you tonight if thats alright?"

So, the offer for the local company has gone from an ok basic, to a f'ing high basic and brilliant commission/bonus. Which makes me think, either i made such a good impression that they really do want me... or they're desperate - and if its the latter.. why?

Any comments welcome!!!
Old 05-07-05, 04:37 PM   #2
Jabba

Hi Joe,

Why assume the worst?

However, I think that you owe a little bit of loyalty to the company that bought you out of your contract with the Agency. In this case, it might be better the Devil you know; especially if they haven't actually signed on the dotted line yet (you might want to check this )

But in your present position, if one requires you to drive and the other doesn't then I'd take the one that doesn't. Sorry - sounds harsh, but get it wrong on this front and you'll have no job and the Agency will tell you where to go, too.

It's your call mate, so I'm not going to vote (and I don't really think anyone else should either) - nice position to be in, too
Old 05-07-05, 04:45 PM   #3
hall13uk

yeah i am not voting but as above why assume the worst . if it was me i would go with the better offer .
Old 05-07-05, 05:08 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If both packages are good and they do look it

Then go with the company that you like the feel of most, the one that you think will give the best job satisfaction.

Thats what I'd do

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 11:02 PM   #5
Ed

Joe, only prostitutes go to the highest bidder. Stay with GPG, you know them well and from what you say they've been good to you. If you go to the other one, you'll be one of the first out I guess come cutback time coz of the high money.
Old 06-07-05, 06:45 AM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

I didn't vote either - your choice

Beware though when you negotiate well above the original offer! They may have their heads in the sand, thay may have tried in the original offer to see how far they can get away with screwing you, they may have had some sort of strange theory in mind that if you are as good as you say you will negotiate a deal that is good for both parties (I say strange as that is a dangerous policy from their angle as people seem coy in negotitating their own pay on a new job, but can be totally different in the job function itself). The caveat is, wherever you push pay up significantly the expectation of job performance goes up too - push your pay too high and the expectation is that you will work your ******** off.

Wherever you go, because of this negotiation that you have pushed so far, you will need to know your contract, your job description, the unwritten expections of you, the KPIs against YOU are measured and then make sure you are bomb proof from the start!

Best of luck mate. These things happen to some and do get pulled off. If you are good at it and keep your ear on the ground and have the guts to keep doing every few years (2-3 or so) where would you be in 10 years time?????
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 08:19 AM   #7
Anonymous

Hi all,

thanks for the comments etc.

I thought on this situation overnight, and have decided that im staying with GPG, purely because if they were prepared to buy me out of a contract, they must have faith in me, and have been good to me so far.

Also, seeing as they did buy me out of the contract, if i suddenly "kick them in the teeth", whats to stop them turning round and saying "ok, well in that case we want out £x grand back that we bought you out of the contract with" and suing me over it. Its too bigger gamble.

I also think that GPG have more to offer me in terms of long term career...

So, time to call MD of local company and give him the bad new - try and remain friends with him though, and if it doesnt work out at GPG, leave the door open to move to them in the future.

GYKD.
Old 06-07-05, 08:37 AM   #8
BURNER

Go to the one on the easy bus route.
Old 06-07-05, 08:55 AM   #9
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNER
Go to the one on the easy bus route.
Thats GPG then...
Old 06-07-05, 03:20 PM   #10
Anonymous

Ok, infotone ltd are still trying hard to poach me... im not in contract with GPG yet, i have it on my desk but not signed it.

Infotone are now offering to place me on fast track to sales manager, as they "really want you, as we feel you have lots to offer us, and in return we have lots to offer you. I would urge you to think this through and make sure you make the right decision."

wish i had a crystal ball......