SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-20, 11:51 PM   #8911
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

My car's had some structural damage and I can't do Christmas without a car so said **** it yeah I'll take a hire car. Asked for something bigger than my hatchback (was really hoping for a van or an estate). They've given me one of these blingy pointless faux suv things that IS bigger than my car in its unwieldly footprint but is tiny internally. The ceiling is ridiculously low, I can't comfortably see out of the windscreen but more of a problem (immediately) it's pretty painful to get in. It's also automatic and very slow ... yet noisy.

If this is modern petrol cars - get me an electric one!
Old 19-12-20, 01:10 AM   #8912
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
They'll be no benefits/very few for everyone/every country affected by Brexit. It'll either all stay the same, or increased costs for all.
They didn't balance the books very well with the outcome/income of being in the EU . . . As they said it's already cost us more the past 3 years trying to deal with it than what we would have paid to it. Let alone the FX rates - anyone remember when it used to be circa 2USD to 1GBP, or 1.5EUR to 1 GBP . . . .
More likely to cost us more, it's all been an almighty great c*ck up in my opinion, and you don't seem to hear much from the Brexiteers now that the chickens are coming home to roost.
ps I do remember 2 USD TO £1.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 02:25 AM   #8913
svenrico

'Having failed to stop Brexit by two big bursts of operation fear the last ditch remainers are now using a third burst to stop us getting the best terms. Is there no end to their dislike of the British people and their love of the EU?'
-What sort of twisted logic is this ?! Just seen it on somebody's twitter , the comment is by Austin Mitchell a , former I think, MP. They will try anything to blame people who voted to remain for the mess they created ! Associating voting remain with dislike of the British people is beyond contempt.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 07:40 AM   #8914
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
My car's had some structural damage and I can't do Christmas without a car so said **** it yeah I'll take a hire car.

Careful they don't try to charge you for it or take it out of the compensation. If they get you to sign a document to say you've received the hire verhicle, read it.. make sure it's not a hire agreement saying you'll pay for it as often happens...

https://youtu.be/PbHQMD0auzk?t=211

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 07:47 AM   #8915
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Careful they don't try to charge you for it or take it out of the compensation. If they get you to sign a document to say you've received the hire verhicle, read it.. make sure it's not a hire agreement saying you'll pay for it as often happens...
With me, I was offered a basic car and asked if I wanted one to match the car which was damaged, which I did. All went well, but a few weeks later I found this was arranged by the hire company putting in a separate claim against the other driver's insurance, which they then queried.

It was fine in the end, but wasted a lot of time going through it, and in the end decided it wasn't worth it for a bigger car. I suspect it would have been simpler if the claim was being managed by the other party's insurance, rather than mine.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 09:48 AM   #8916
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post

https://youtu.be/PbHQMD0auzk?t=211

Think you're probably right, the person delivering it was a tw4t thrust a load of paper work under my nose on my doorstep and I said I'd read it and post it back to them, she said that wasn't an option. I was in a rush so skim read it and said, it doesn't say who's paying for this she said 'it's free' , I said ' c'mon someone's paying for it somewhere' she said 'I don't know hun'
I just wrote 'unread' in the signature box and ****ed off as I was in a rush.
Cheers for the headsup I'll go through the small print and send it back if I need.

I'm trying to work out how it affects me, the accident wasn't my fault and I'm happy to gamble I'll win. I need a car, I've got an insanely busy Christmas and my car was my daily driver and also insured as a business vehicle I need to do my job. I'm not sure they can take it out of money that would have otherwise gone to repair my car so the other insurer should pay for it as a separate cost. I better double check that's how it works.
Old 19-12-20, 07:48 PM   #8917
garynortheast
Mega Poster

GotD - bloody big filling has just fallen out of one of my teeth. Hope I can get it fixed before Christmas.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 07:52 PM   #8918
Kenzie

I would take loads of photos of the hire car before using it. We had a loan van from Enterprise at work and I took photos before it turned a wheel as the guy dropping it off skimmed over the checks. When it was taken away we got an email pointing out loads of damage and was told we would be charged. Sent them back the photos and they shut up.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 09:11 PM   #8919
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I would take loads of photos of the hire car before using it. We had a loan van from Enterprise at work and I took photos before it turned a wheel as the guy dropping it off skimmed over the checks. When it was taken away we got an email pointing out loads of damage and was told we would be charged. Sent them back the photos and they shut up.
Yep, I do do that. Currently more concerned about the shoddy practice Adam's alerted me to. The answer to my earlier question; apparently it affects me if the other insurer appeals the value of the services. For example should they have given me an SUV style thing instead of a smaller hatchback, they said it's all they had but I am not convinced and it's my responsibility. Also the fact they lied to me (not that I signed the paper work with a valid signature) - I've emailed telling them to take it back Monday. I'll go get a Focus hatch back or something from Enterprise Monday. CAB says you should ask them if I'm liable for the higher charges in the case of appeal or losing the claim and if they say I am, return it - to be honest I'm not comfortable with the fees even if the insurers paying it. You'll never guess the rate (unless you've seen this scam in the news).
Old 19-12-20, 09:13 PM   #8920
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Yep, I do do that. Currently more concerned about the shoddy practice Adam's alerted me to. The answer to my earlier question; apparently it affects me if the other insurer appeals the value of the services. For example should they have given me an SUV style thing instead of a smaller hatchback, they said it's all they had but I am not convinced and it's my responsibility. Also the fact they lied to me (not that I signed the paper work with a valid signature) - I've emailed telling them to take it back Monday. I'll go get a Focus hatch back or something from Enterprise Monday. CAB says you should ask them if I'm liable for the higher charges in the case of appeal or losing the claim and if they say I am, return it - to be honest I'm not comfortable with the fees even if the insurers paying it. You'll never guess the rate (unless you've seen this scam in the news).
Exactly. May be worth speaking to the insurance company about what an acceptable rate is and getting your own hire car, and then submitting the invoice for it once returned.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote